t5 convert to t5HO

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JackBlasto

Aquarium Advice Freak
Can you convert a t5 ballast to a t5HO ballast? I've seen kits to convert T8 to T5... Just wondering if this was possible to go from T5 to T5HO or is it so much replacement you're just as good to buy a new light?

You would need an entirely new ballast and new end caps, plus new bulbs. Most t5no fixtures also have pretty bad reflectors, so you should probably replace that too, or you're not really getting your money worth. But you can probably keep the wiring.

Well, the next question, which is going to sound very newb of me... Is my fixture high output? I bought these LumenBlaster under the advice of the store... They did not tell me anything about them besides that they advised I get them... http://www.aquariumplants.com/LumenBlaster_T5_Retro_Fit_Kits_p/lb01.htm

I can see in the description that it says "High Output Workhorse Ballasts" Sooooo, I'm assuming this means these things can do HO bulbs... am I right with this assumption? Thanks. You'd think the store would've informed me of this

Those Workhorse ballasts can run HO bulbs, and the wattages listed are correct for T5HO bulbs. I would say yes, they are T5HO.

Thanks for this insight! Next question that is completely newb of me... A 36 inch T5 bulb that is rated 39 watts thus HAS to be a high output build, correct? Or else it would be 21 watts for that length of bulb if it was Normal Output? I bought a bunch of extra bulbs and now question whether they are HO or not. All thats printed on them is that they're 39 watts and they're t5 and they fit in my 36" fixture. Using deductive reasoning I'm assuming that they HAVE to be HO bulbs due to the wattage and length of bulb? Correct?

That's the logic I would be using if I didn't know for sure. Also, there's really not as many T5NO bulbs running around, so if it looks like an aquarium specialty bulb at all, you can usually assume its HO.

Back
Top Bottom