T5 HO bulb in a T5 fixture

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Reefnoob84

Aquarium Advice Freak
my LFS said it would be fine wondering what you guys think. I have a aqueon dual lamp fixture i replaced the bulbs with a coral sun actinic 420 by zoo med(got 2 bulbs for $3 closeout) and a coralife 10,000k daylight. the bulbs that came with the unit were 21w 6700 k daylight and a colormax. fixture was made for freshwater setups. I'm hoping to use this in my live rock 2 clown 46 gallon tank with a led mini from marine land with 42 white leds and 3 blue till i gcan get a better fixture. but in the mean time what will these lights limit me to as far as corals and such? can i even use this fixture with these bulbs? the bulbs seem to operate with no problems but should there be more light output from these bulbs? im sorry for the questions but like my grandpa said the only dub question is one not asked so thanks in advance and i hope i posted in the proper area.

I dont think the fixture is going to put enough watts to fully power the HO bulbs.

the lamp will flicker and not start properly.

you culd always order HO ballasts, or get a workhorse ballast to power the HO

even if the lamp lights, it's only going to put out what the ballast in the fixture permits. HO bulbs won't help in this case.

The lights never flicker upon start up it is a brand new unit I'll have to use it for now and hope it keeps up when I get a new one I'll return this one to petsmart and get some store credit

if you use regular T5 lamps it won't but if you put HOs in you will. the ballasts don't push enough wattage through so the bulbs don't start up properly

What length is the bulb. For my 36 inch 39 is HO but on a shorter bulb it would be a lower number from what I have seen.

Back
Top Bottom