T5 light bulb suggestions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

buzzkiller

Aquarium Advice Regular
I need to replace 2 48" t5 light bulbs that sit on top my planted tank. I figured here would be a good place to start and get some suggestions. I don't mind getting 2 different bulbs if that's best. Also keep in mind I have congo and cardinal tetras so the lights also need to be good at showing off the colors of my fish.

Thanks for any advise, and remember you always need another tank despite what everyone else says!

I'm about to receive some new T5 bulbs in a couple days from Giesemann. I could let you know how they look Friday/Saturday.

I've been using GE Starcoats (~$10 a pop). Giesemann are nice, but they're probably unnecessary for most people.

I need to replace 2 48" t5 light bulbs that sit on top my planted tank. I figured here would be a good place to start and get some suggestions. I don't mind getting 2 different bulbs if that's best. Also keep in mind I have congo and cardinal tetras so the lights also need to be good at showing off the colors of my fish.

Thanks for any advise, and remember you always need another tank despite what everyone else says!

I'm about to receive some new T5 bulbs in a couple days from Giesemann. I could let you know how they look Friday/Saturday.

I've been using GE Starcoats (~$10 a pop). Giesemann are nice, but they're probably unnecessary for most people.

Hey Guys, could you possibly help me with a lighting question? Im still a little noobish when it comes to correct lighting, but learning alot fast. I currently have a 55 gallon long tank with an Aqueon T5 dual fixture. It seems to work well. I just recently picked up a new 75 gallon long tank that I will be dirting and getting set up for heavy planting. I would really prefer to have an LED light with moonlighting features for this tank. I was looking at THIS light.

SO my question is will this LED light be sufficient enough to grow my plants? OR should I just get another Aqueon T5 light for this tank? I would rather better growth for the plants than the "Moonlighting" feature. My goal will be to install a C02 system and carpet baby tears or glossostigma.

Any other lighting suggestions for my tank are greatly appreciated!
Tank is 48 L x 20 H x 18 D :thanks:

Those GE starcoats seem great for the price. One question should i go with the 5000k or 6500k bulbs? I read on this forum someone seemed to think the 5000k was better?

T5 HO Bulbs - Lighting - Aquatic Plant Central

It really doesn't matter as much as some people make it sound. One might have more PUR than the other, but it's not going to matter. What may matter is color preference, as the 6500K can look kind of pasty. You can use a lower kelvin bulb to offset this, eg, these. Cheap but effective, basically the same as the $30 bulbs for most people.

I can't really speak for it one way or another. Zoomed also makes a 6700K bulb that you should be able to get for <$12-15 or so.

At my local petco they had some coralife plant bulbs that were pretty cheap. I would take a look before you order online.

Back
Top Bottom