T5 lighting question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Munchie

Aquarium Advice Activist
Have a 60" 100 gallon freshwater tank that I decided to plant. Currently I have T8 plant bulbs, 2 DIY co2 setups (one on either side) and I dose with flourish excel daily.

If I go to t5 fixtures with plant lights, will I have any issues?

Yes and no. U will probably experience an algae outbreak of some sort until the tank re-cycles itself to know that this is the new lighting parameter. If it persists, u may have to eliminate a bulb or 2 to match your tank (plants) ability to absorb light. Your plants should grow pretty rapid tho.

Post pix of your set up. Notice any difference from the diy set up? I've thought about it for my 100g but I heard it wouldn't be effective

Here you go

image-618298973.jpg

These diffusers are from those 20 gallon co2 systems at petsmart, I have two. Bought the systems on clearance both for 20 bucks.

image-2385095494.jpg

First clipping about 3 weeks ago and it is already growing back..should of clipped it closer to the base..but I am going to just let it grow and see what happens. I dose daily with flourish excel and I think the combo is helping, obviously not as fast growing as it would be with pressurized co2

image-2392952548.jpg

Thanks Mohican. I am going to take the plunge and buy them this month..looking for a co2 also

I'm running 2 t8slike u. I'm assuming 36"

I'm also running 2 58" t5no.

It seems like im starting to have an algae issue after three past months since I put them in.

By t5 fixtures do you mean t5no (normal output) or t5ho (high output)? Makes a big difference.

Most likely HO, I want to light it up bright.

Then you are probably going to have to go with pressurized co2. I don't think diy co2 on a 100gal is gonna work with t5ho. Here is a great article on the subject PAR vs Distance, T5, T12, PC - New Chart

Pay close attention to the light intensity chart (2nd chart down). I have a 75g with two t5ho bulbs and it is considered high light. High light requires pressurized co2 and dose ferts.

And another great article on light and how it drives demand for more nutrients. _Dosing Regime's_

Just my $.02

Thanks, I might just bite the bullet and get pressurized co2, the lighting and a second canister with a built in sterilizer to compliment my eheim pro.

Great advice! Thx

Well. I went and picked up 2- 30" dual bulb fixtures and a 18watt uv sterilizer.

Waiting on plant bulbs to come in on Thursday..but here it is so far.

image-2356406949.jpg

Alot brighter! Just wish my fish liked the new lights as much as I do!

Back
Top Bottom