T5-NO in 29g planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NavemadaMan

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey can someone help me out by explaining something about having a T5NO light fixture in my planted tank? Just some information I should know. Or an explanation of differences in lights. Anything would be great! Thanks

NavemadaMan said:
Hey can someone help me out by explaining something about having a T5NO light fixture in my planted tank? Just some information I should know. Or an explanation of differences in lights. Anything would be great! Thanks

T5 is the type of bulb, NO means normal output. Is that what you have now? If you're looking to upgrade your lighting check out the HO (high output) so you can keep a better range of plants and have them grow well.

T5 is the type of bulb, NO means normal output. Is that what you have now? If you're looking to upgrade your lighting check out the HO (high output) so you can keep a better range of plants and have them grow well.

So I bought this fixture, 24w t5HO with 2 6700 tubes for my 10g. Too much light so I was going to replace one tube with a anaetic tube. What would happen if I had two NO bulbs?

T5ho ballasts shouldn't run NO bulbs. Replacing 1 bulb with an actinic would be a good idea. That is a lot of light for a 10 al tank unless you intend to inject co2 and have a robust fert regiment.

Aspencer said:
So I bought this fixture, 24w t5HO with 2 6700 tubes for my 10g. Too much light so I was going to replace one tube with a anaetic tube. What would happen if I had two NO bulbs?

I like the idea of a 6700K with a blue, good light for the plants and for you too :). Just understand that the actinic will do nothing for you plants and the HO fixture would most likely burn the NO bulb out in no time if it even lights it up at all. The ballast is everything when it comes to fluorescent lighting and it's best not to mix bulbs IME.

If I have two T5NO bulbs on top of my tank with a depth of 18 inches is that sufficient lighting? One is a blue light and one is a white light

If I have two T5NO bulbs on top of my tank with a depth of 18 inches is that sufficient lighting? One is a blue light and one is a white light

What's the wattage of you fixture? What plants do you have/want?

Sounds like a SW light and it should be OK, but how much power you have (wattage) will determine the best plant selection IME. Plantgeek.net is my go to site for plants/plant info.

They are two 14 watt lights and I can pretty much work around the light wattage for the plants. Can I get some ground covering plants though?

NavemadaMan said:
Ooh sounds good! But what's a plastic crafters mat?

It's plastic canvas grid stuff you can find at crafts stores (my gandma use to stitch on it lol). Just use thread and sew it on. I've seen squares of it done and ready to go at my Petco.

Back
Top Bottom