t5ho on t8 ballast same watts?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

liberator123

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a single t8 fixture that i opened up. It uses a single ballast. This 1 in particular. I wanted to convert the fixture to use t5ho. Will I be able to run 18 watts t5ho tubes on this? (these)
The ballast was designed to run low 14-20 watt single tubes. So I was wondering would a 18 watt 18 inches t5oh tube be able to run? Or do I really need buy a new ballast?

Workhorse 3, 5, and 7 should work with T5HO. You would probably need to replace everything on a T8 setup (sockets, wiring, ballast), and the reflectors could use some love.
I would recommend getting a T5HO retrofit as well.

Thanks for the advice guys. I looked over the retrofit kit, but its sort of expensive. I decided to just buy each part separately and I even found an $8 used workhorse 2! so all in all I just spent about less than 40 bucks for a t5ho single fixture. the tube was the most expensive part, which was $20.

The Workhorse 2 will not properly run a T5HO, and if you don't have a decent reflector (most T8s don't even have one or have a very bad one), you're losing out on at least half of your lighting potential.

The Workhorse 2 will not properly run a T5HO, and if you don't have a decent reflector (most T8s don't even have one or have a very bad one), you're losing out on at least half of your lighting potential.

Oh im planning to edit my reflector.
How come the workhorse 2 will not properly run a t5ho? I checked their website http://horse.fulham.com/wiring-diagram-results and that was the first setup that came up as an acceptable diagram for a single t5ho 24watt...

You're right, I'm wrong. For some reason I didn't realize that you only wanted to run the single T5HO. What are your plans for the reflector?

well i was thinking of removing the reflector that was inside the hood (the part that attaches the socket). its an aqueon deluxe full hood if you know what im talking about. but after that im not 100% sure whats the best shape reflecter... should i just use the hood and paint the inside white? or should i make a diy using plexiglass or some other material? any suggestions?

A new reflector would run you probably $20 or so and really give you a lot more light from the single bulb than is put out than most 2x fixtures on a per-bulb basis. Unfortunately I'm not familiar with that reflector, but its probably not really very good at all unfortunately. Leaving it in is probably betting than painting it white, but you can also experiment with aluminum foil to see if you can get more out of it. A decent polishing job probably wouldn't hurt either.

Back
Top Bottom