T8 lights for plants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jmay33

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a 29 gallon aquarium with 2 simple T8 fixtures. is there any chance of having decent plant growth with T8s?

My current plants (different tank) are rotala indica, water wisteria, anubia, moneywort, anacharis, myrio, and some unknown sword. I would have Eco-complete substrate, use excel, and alternate liquid ferts 2 times a week.

I have a 20 long (same footprint just shallower) that had 1 and sometimes 2 T-8 bulbs and was able to grow two types of moss, and banana plant and surprisingly cabomba. The latter had shoots that would reach the surface; the cuttings were replanted. No rapid growth here. Definitely low light.
Bought a 30" dual T5 fixture (bulbs included) for $38 from thatfishplace.com and am able to grow a wider range of plants. Using eco-complete, root tabs, excel, and flourish comp. The 29 is deeper so "your results may vary...". But for the low cost it was an upgrade in my case.

I have a 20 long (same footprint just shallower) that had 1 and sometimes 2 T-8 bulbs and was able to grow two types of moss, and banana plant and surprisingly cabomba. The latter had shoots that would reach the surface; the cuttings were replanted. No rapid growth here. Definitely low light.
Bought a 30" dual T5 fixture (bulbs included) for $38 from thatfishplace.com and am able to grow a wider range of plants. Using eco-complete, root tabs, excel, and flourish comp. The 29 is deeper so "your results may vary...". But for the low cost it was an upgrade in my case.

Cool. Thanks! I was just wondering. I will upgrade in the future. Probably to a larger tank. :)

Back
Top Bottom