Table (iodized) salt- will it work?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maxwellag

Aquarium Advice Addict
I want to my nerite snail eggs to hatch, and I know they ned brackish water to hatch.
I have table salt, and was wondering if I should add that to my main tank that has the eggs in it, or if I should try to move the eggs and put them into a separate tank that I convert to brackish.
I need to know how much salt to add, if table salt works.

I would move the eggs to a separate tank and use marine salt would be better IMO. If you were going to use Table salt you want non- iodized.

Tigroscr said:
I would move the eggs to a separate tank and use marine salt would be better IMO. If you were going to use Table salt you want non- iodized.

What if it's "morton natural sea salt"? Lol I have no idea....
Edit: just fyi this one above is another type I have, so I have both this and the iodize table salt.

Here's the sea salt... it doesn't have iodine. Do you guys think this is ok?

maxwellag said:
Here's the sea salt... it doesn't have iodine. Do you guys think this is ok?

I would recommend the marine salt its relatively inexpensive at the LFS. You could use the non- iodized natural sea salt but it's more commonly used to treat illness. To make your tank brackish you need to use Marine salt and add gradually so the eggs can acclimate to it otherwise they might die! Jmo :)

Tigroscr said:
I would recommend the marine salt its relatively inexpensive at the LFS. You could use the non- iodized natural sea salt but it's more commonly used to treat illness. To make your tank brackish you need to use Marine salt and add gradually so the eggs can acclimate to it otherwise they might die! Jmo :)

Ok. Is it possible to move eggs attached to the glass, or should I try to move eggs attached to plants and decorations?

maxwellag said:
Ok. Is it possible to move eggs attached to the glass, or should I try to move eggs attached to plants and decorations?

I would only move the ones attached to plants and decor.

Tigroscr said:
No problem! Good luck, let me know how it works for ya! :)

Ok. Once I get home I will update again, because I will neep tips on acclimating the eggs. Will drip acclimating with the (full) brackish tank's water work, or should I gradually add salt?

maxwellag said:
Ok. Once I get home I will update again, because I will neep tips on acclimating the eggs. Will drip acclimating with the (full) brackish tank's water work, or should I gradually add salt?

IMO the drip acclimating with the full brackish tanks water would work the best!! Otherwise what I do is mix accordingly in a empty milk jug and just keep adding a little at a time every few hours or so til it's gone. It should give you instructions on the marine salt on how much salt to add depending on your tank side follow instructions you don't want to over salt the tank. :)

Tigroscr said:
IMO the drip acclimating with the full brackish tanks water would work the best!! Otherwise what I do is mix accordingly in a empty milk jug and just keep adding a little at a time every few hours or so til it's gone. It should give you instructions on the marine salt on how much salt to add depending on your tank side follow instructions you don't want to over salt the tank. :)

But I don't have marine salt... I have natural sea salt... that's why I need to know... lol

maxwellag said:
But I don't have marine salt... I have natural sea salt... that's why I need to know... lol

Then do the drip acclimation from the fully brackish tank. I've only used non- iodized table salt with good results when I'm treating for illness. And I've never used table sea salt so to be safe do the drip acclimation!

Sorry I mis- understood I thought you said once you get home, I thought it meant you were going to the LFS to get marine salt! My bad! Lol! :)

Tigroscr said:
Sorry I mis- understood I thought you said once you get home, I thought it meant you were going to the LFS to get marine salt! My bad! Lol! :)

But the kind I have (natural sea salt) would work, right?

You said you already have an established brackish tank right? What did you use to make it brackish? Use whatever worked for you that you've been successful with. I just don't know enough about the natural sea salt table salt to recommend using it for a brackish aquarium. I've personally never used it but I have used non- iodized table salt to treat fin rot successfully. But it's not something I use regularly. :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom