tail biting behavior in Betta fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ljfantasy316

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone,

I have two male Betta fish. They are in their individual tanks, same size, same temperature, same decor, same feeding schedule, same amount of food. One Betta is happy, and the other one seems to like biting his own tail every so often..... I never really catch him doing that in action, but since I often see chunks of his tail fin missing, I reckon that's his own doing since there's no other biting-enabling elements in his tank.

Was wondering if this type of behavior is specific to the individual, i.e., a hobby engraved in the genes of this particular Betta? Or can this kind of behavior be regulated at all? He's not having difficulty swimming and the missing part does seem to grow back slowly over time, just his tail now has unique shape and the shape sort of changes now and then, like a shape-shifter in an extreme slow motion kind of way.

Any thought or insight will be wonderful. Thanks!!

How big are the tanks and what are the parameters?

What filters do you use?

With things like this, there's probably not much you can do. He might see his reflection and get angry thinking theres another betta behind him. Or else maybe he just thinks his tail is delicious.

Some bettas do it when stressed. Can he see the other male? Make sure you keep the water very clean so he doesn't get infection. I use Indian Almond leaves to aid in healing but there hasn't been a study confirming whether it works or not, so use at your own discretion. Also you might try adding a background in case he is seeing his reflection.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks much for the feedback!

I don't have parameters yet. In need of getting a new water test kit. I'll keep monitoring and keep your ideas in mind.

:thanks:

Back
Top Bottom