Taking the Plunge .. Going Marine Soon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Grant R

Aquarium Advice FINatic
OK, so it's been a while since the close down of my tropical tank, but I'm coming back into the game in a few months and myself and my girlfriend have decided that a marine set up is for us.

It's going to be a few months yet. I wanna be absolutely prepared and do all my homework before I start. I am probably moving to her area as well, so gives us plenty of time to add to my already 'not bad' level of knowledge.

We fell in love with a corner tank which was around a 65g and it came with everything you need, IE, "marine starter kit".

Just really wanted to see what you lot think the best type of fish would be to start with, as well as the vital and optional things to add in terms of equipment.

Coral will definitely be present, quite a few varietys hopefully and I'm keen on a sand base.

Fire away people ... 8)

Wow, that is a very open ended question!
I like to browse here for ideas:
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/categ.cfm?pCatId=15
I think once you look around, it might be easier to get a list together and ask that way, other wise you will get a ton of answers. Sorry I couldn't be more specific. Maybe others can give you a more detailed list. I just look around and if something catches my eye, I'll post here, to get some input.

I just setup my first marine tank a few weeks back and I have already made a few costly mistakes and learned a ton.

Research is the key with a saltwater tank. Research everything and anything including reviews of equip....Coming up with an exact plan of what you want to keep first can make things a bit easier.

A lot of people recommend "The Conscientious Marine Aquarist" by Robert Fenner. I bought mine of Amazon for around $15. Read all the stickies, getting started forums...

Corner tanks are not always the best but it is your choice. 65 gal. is a great starting size, however I would not go with a corner especially if you are going to have hang-on equip. as well as lighting difficulties.

came with everything you need

Find out exactly what it comes with and ask because it may be just basic stuff or even stuff that you do not need. If you absolutely want to shoot for corals you will need good lighting. VHO or PC will be good for most soft corals and MH for SPS and clams. I have a 192 watt Coralife 50/50 PC over my 30 gal.

Most will say that 1.5-2 lbs. of LR per gallon and a good skimmer is all that is needed for good filtration along with some Powerheads for ample water movement. A refractometer, a titanium heater, aragonite substrate over CC, another PH, heater, bucket/barrel for pre-mixing salt....I can't think anymore but others will give you better advice. Good Luck

Grant R said:
We fell in love with a corner tank which was around a 65g and it came with everything you need, IE, "marine starter kit".

Coral will definitely be present, quite a few varietys hopefully and I'm keen on a sand base.

One thing to be aware of...

I think the 65g corner you're talking about is quite a tall/deep tank, if it's the one I'm thinking of. Corals - depending on the type - are going to want a lot of light and a deep tank goes at odds with that. The corals that want a bunch of light will have to be stuck on the rocks fairly high in the tank.

I'm just starting out myself and haven't a coral or fish to my name, but that's just something you might want to keep in mind, or investigate further as you ask your questions.

Back
Top Bottom