Taking the plunge on BioCube 14 build adventure

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
1Vampiregirl said:
Actually, the snail decided to leave that corner for the starfish who got there first. So noone's fighting!

I've got a question. Can I get a fish now? :)

What's your latest test readings?

Your nitrates might be a little high ( pwc) but as long as you've all ready completed your cycle ., and what ever ammonia is being produced is being eaten up by the bacteria then., I'd prob progress to a small cheap fish and start off with a crawl.. Good luck VG

Thanks, Dary. Yes, the cycle is 100% done, and the nitrate was around 40 earlier.
I was thinking of a tail spot blenny. :)

Got my snails from reefcleaners! :p
I threw them in the cube to match the temp. I was surprised that there wasn't an ice-pack in the box!
Would I want to drip acclimate them? I thought so but in the email reefcleaners said to just temp match for 15 minutes and put them in the tank.

You'll be fine with just temp matching. reefcleaners is out of florida so thats prob why no cool/heat pack. I've yet to have any doa's from them. :)

carey said:
You'll be fine with just temp matching. reefcleaners is out of florida so thats prob why no cool/heat pack. I've yet to have any doa's from them. :)

Thanks, Carey. All righty then, in they go! :)

I thought they were IN FL 'coz they have all those shipping specials for us.

I ordered 10 dwarf ceriths!!!

And I think it's a nassarius snail in the last pic. If so it got confused - it's supposed to go into the sandbed, not to the very top!!!

Attachments

• image-3999847644.jpg
    image-3999847644.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 136
  • image-62835385.jpg
    image-62835385.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 136
  • image-1459332974.jpg
    image-1459332974.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 139
1Vampiregirl said:
I ordered 10 dwarf ceriths!!!

And I think it's a nassarius snail in the last pic. If so it got confused - it's supposed to go into the sandbed, not to the very top!!!

Wow,..you must really like snails,..that's a lot of'em!!!...re,.the nassarius snails,,,,yep,they basically live in your sand and only come up to eat some uneaten food that is lying on top of the sand bed,
I'd love to have some snails in my tank but the triggerfish make pretty fast meals out of them :-(. , I did find a nassarius snail one day alive underneath a rock !!! Wow,..that was kinda exciting .
Wishing you the best!

Thank you Dary. It's not that I particularly love snails, it's more that I received this many!!! I only wanted 10 of them because they're so tiny - less than an inch when fully grown. I think they should be great for a nano!
But what can I do when I already received like 50?! Can't just throw them away now, can I. So I let them be for now. Some are still in shock, not moving. My crab checked them out, moved a couple out of his way lol.

It's so cool to watch them! I realized I have some algea on the glass, like tiny green branches and they are all covered with pods!!! I'm wondering if the snails will make a meal out of that algea. It's just so mesmerizing to me! :)

Oh and I also saw a couple of weird wormy creatures. One comes out of the sand and the other - out of rock. They are very very thin, like hair, and almost transparent, and they sort of stretch out into the water and go back. I don't know what they are.

1Vampiregirl said:
Thank you Dary. It's not that I particularly love snails, it's more that I received this many!!! I only wanted 10 of them because they're so tiny - less than an inch when fully grown. I think they should be great for a nano!
But what can I do when I already received like 50?! Can't just throw them away now, can I. So I let them be for now. Some are still in shock, not moving. My crab checked them out, moved a couple out of his way lol.

It's so cool to watch them! I realized I have some algea on the glass, like tiny green branches and they are all covered with pods!!! I'm wondering if the snails will make a meal out of that algea. It's just so mesmerizing to me! :)

Oh and I also saw a couple of weird wormy creatures. One comes out of the sand and the other - out of rock. They are very very thin, like hair, and almost transparent, and they sort of stretch out into the water and go back. I don't know what they are.

It's a lot of fun when it's time to start the stocking process,...the trouble with the little tanks is that there's so many neat things to buy out there but so little Space to put it all in,,,,just plan out everything and go nice and slow,....( easier said than done).....re,your hitch hikers ,..at least you don't have what ever it is that " Buffy" has in one of her rocks,.... You know,..I've got prob over a hundred lbs. Of live rocks in my tank and to this day I have never seen any worms ,crabs etc come out of 'em,....( except for the little starfish in my refugium) Maybe the triggerfish took care of all that,...even checked at night with a flashlight too,....I think you've inspired me to get some more Nas.snails the next time I get down to my lfs..... :)

Dary, nassarius snail are neat. Mine are in the sandbed by now, I only saw their siphons sticking out of the sand.

Today is a big day for the cube. We got the first coral. It's the cutest mushroom ever! :p

Attachments

• image-344758653.jpg
    image-344758653.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 166
Hey VG... Looks like your local Florida strain critters.., nice looking rock....where did you get'em? .. You're on your way girl!!!

Dary421 said:
Hey VG... Looks like your local Florida strain critters.., nice looking rock....where did you get'em? .. You're on your way girl!!!

Thanks Dary! Yes, they look like ricordea Florida. I've wanted them ever since I saw the on LA, but they're so expensive there. And when I saw this rock and for only $60 I didn't have to think twice. :)
I got a hitchhiker asterina star so now I've got two! :p
Oh, and the store is Coral Reef Farm.

Love mushrooms, looks great! It's a huge specimen! Great price too.

I'm starting to get into my mushroom phase now, don't mind me...

carey said:

Gotta love the shroons...

1Vampiregirl said:
Thanks Dary! Yes, they look like ricordea Florida. I've wanted them ever since I saw the on LA, but they're so expensive there. And when I saw this rock and for only $60 I didn't have to think twice. :)
I got a hitchhiker asterina star so now I've got two! :p
Oh, and the store is Coral Reef Farm.

Dang.... so you got a star up on me now .. Hmmm... I'll try to catch up... ( how many legs does this one have ? )... Happy 4th of July VG !!!!!

carey said:

Yes, mushrooms are very neat. And some have great colors! I also want some hairy shrooms.
You know, Carey, it's not that big, the rock they're on is about 3 inches I think. But definitely not a tiny 1-shroom frag. I'm not that patient! Lol

Dary421 said:
Dang.... so you got a star up on me now .. Hmmm... I'll try to catch up... ( how many legs does this one have ? )... Happy 4th of July VG !!!!!
Ha-ha! Yeah, beware now! And I also have a mini serpent star somewhere in there :p

Oh, thanks, Dary, happy 4th of July to you too!!!! :)

Unexpectedly found another hitchhiker on my ricordea rock! It's a tiny pink feather duster! Will I be able to get him out of there? He's right under the mushrooms and I only found it in the morning when my mushrooms weren't all open.

Also, I'm growing green algea in one corner and nobody seems to like to eat it. It grows on the glass too and it's in teeny tiny branches, very defined and delicate. My pods like it, they're all over those branches. Any advice what to do with it?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom