Taking the plunge!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hackistry

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello all. Glad to see a group like this!
Saturady morning, I am picking up an aquarium from a co-worker. The aquarium (50 gal) is freshwater, with several fish in it. Going to drain and put the fish in a temp tank until it is setup at my home. Any words of advice to aid in the transition would be greatly appreciated. :D

I assume you're getting the gravel and filters used in that tank as well? They contain most of the good bacteria that has kept his tank cycled. As long as the filter media and gravel are kept moist with the original tank water, you should be able to add the fish back in immediately. Very Important: Use a dechlorinator when you refill the tank at your home. Also......have you acclimated fish to a new environment before? It likely the ph of your tap water will differ from the water the fish currently are in. So you'll need to gradually get them used to that.

Welcome hackistry!!
It looks like you've been given good advice--let us know how things turn out!
By the way, what kind of fish are you getting?

Well, today is the big day! Thanks to everyone for the pointers. It's pretty funny how up until a couple days ago, I never even thought about an aquarium, and now I seem to be "addicted" to it. Cool! A co-worker said he had one for sell... told the wife and she said "why not"? So, for $75, I'm getting a 55 gal, several fish, which I'm sorry, I don't recall what type they are, a stand and everything as far as chemicals, nets, ... etc. pretty good deal I thought! Once I get things setup, I'll try to get some pictures taken and post some info for those in similar scenario. Thanks again!

Oh my Gosh...I am soooo jealous...I just spent $175...note the one in front of that 75...on a brand new 20 gallon! And I want desparately to have a 55 gallon...just can't find any good deals on them yet....hoping for warmer weather and yardsales for a deal on the stuff...no co-workers giving up any tanks right now!

OK... well, what an interesting few days! First, I found out about how heaters need to be unplugged for awhile before removing them for water. I shattered the glass bulbs for both my heaters... oops! After replacing them, everyone (the fish) seemed to be happy. I woke up Monday morning, and my water was cloudy. Hmmm? After I got home from work, I discovered my Pleco wasn't moving... in fact, it was the source of the cloudiness. :-( So, I guess it's time to get another one in a bit, but I want to satbilize my aquarium first. All in all, pretty fun! My twin boys, 4 yrs old, love the aquarium! I'll try to get some pics up soon.

Right now I've got my eye on a new 55 gal with a filter,heater (and I think a hood) for $170. Good deal? Is there a disease risk in getting used tanks?

Thanks, Beacious. :n00b:

Back
Top Bottom