Taking the plunge...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Okay I'm getting super frustrated. Dealing with too many things at the same time (not just this) and getting totally mixed messages from the various LFSs around here about SW.

One store told me I could use an HOB filter in a SW reef tank. So I figured cool, I have an extra Penguin laying around. I put in on the tank last night and I think it is now toast from the SW.

Another store tells me you can't do corals, even "easy" corals with an HOB. You have to have a refugium.

Another store basically tried to talk me out of it completely. "You should just go buy a tank that is already running on Craigs List."

Every question I asked seem to annoy these people more. I like being able to talk with people face to face when I'm learning things and this attitude and opposite info I'm getting is making wonder if taking this step is a big mistake.

1> Can I use HOB on SW reef or do I HAVE to have a refugium?
2> I picked up one small power head (marineland maxi-jet 400), for a 29g tank is that okay?
3> Should I just stick to FW, with which, I've had great success and have never had to deal this kind of behavior from LFSs?

HELP. :banghead::(

Failing in saltwater is nothing to be discouraged about! You learn from the mistakes you make! Why not try a really good protein skimmer and a large amount of live rock and live sand? Go slow and enjoy the hobby, nothing great happens in saltwater fast. All the other people on here will tell you the same thing. I myself have failed at saltwater, learned from my mistakes and my tank is very healthy now! Don't trust what most LFS say, half the time they are out to sell you something. Plus 80 percent of the people around my area act like they know saltwater but don't even own an aquarium. I trust the people on here with my tank because a lot of them have been in the hobby for a very long time! However back to the subject....a great protein skimmer will work great with a 29 gallon. Buy the best that you can because it will be the heart of your tank filtration. I'm running a remora aqua C, canister with chemical filtration only and 40 lbs of live rock in the display. Everything is currently stable at the moment and fish are healthy! It's up to you what filtration you want to do. If you decide to do a refugium the people on here can help! Just ask! :) I would have done a refugium but was afraid it would over flow then flood and I live on the second story in apartment. Don't think my neighbors would like that very much! let me know what you end up wanting to do!

Thanks for the cheer up. But ... I just got home from work and walked into a nightmare. The power head came loose from the side of the tank and blew sand all over the tank, the water was nice and clear and now it's back to milk. In addition the blown sand clogged up the HOB filter and I think it fried the motor from being jammed. Super bummed. I just hope no damage was done to the LR, can't see it yet to tell.

Okay so I can't get the HOB working again. Before I go spend money on another canister filter will it get trashed by sand if this happens again?

Mine gets sand in it and does ok however it is made for Marine tanks. Before buying a canister I would just wait for the tank to do some cycling and do some research. You may not even want a filter and decide go just go with a protein skimmer and maybe something like. Hang on the back refugium with like algae in it for nitrates.

How much live rock do you currently have? And of you do get a canister you will need to clean if out at least once a week. They can become nitrate factors if not cleaned often.

How much live rock do you currently have? And of you do get a canister you will need to clean if out at least once a week. They can become nitrate factors if not cleaned often.

I have somewhere between 25-30 lbs of rock in there, mostly live. I can't imagine a fish surviving something like this so I'm going to go get a canister filter. I'm already running 9 API NEXX canisters on my FW tanks and I like them for the most part so another isn't a big deal. Keeping up with the cleanings isn't big thing either I just won't get any leeway on the SW tank.

I'm really bummed. I was looking forward to finishing up the rockscaping tonight.

Did you wash the sand before you put it in? And mine was cloudy for a while too it kind of sucks but well worth the wait.

Did you wash the sand before you put it in? And mine was cloudy for a while too it kind of sucks but well worth the wait.

Stupidly, no I didn't. But the water was perfectly clear this morning. With the PH dropping loose and blowing sand everywhere it is all messed up again.

Stupidly, no I didn't. But the water was perfectly clear this morning. With the PH dropping loose and blowing sand everywhere it is all messed up again.

Maybe try a water change to take some of it out....may help it clear up faster.

Well you are still cycling. So neither of those really matter currently. As the bacteria grows in your sand it will actually become more "sticky" and this issue will subside. In terms of ph dropping, it also can be addressed upon completion of your cycle. Mine went up and down and finally stabalized a couple months after my cycle was complete and is a wonderful way to explain how parameters can fluctuate in a tank until the 6 month to year mark even.

Yeah I know, I was just all wound up to get the aquascaping finished and now I can't see a **** thing.

Tonight I went up to a petco and looked around. They had HOB refugium with protein skimmer (AquaFuge2 PS) was expensive but thought I'd give it a try. Brought it home got it hooked up, worked like a champ Actually a pretty slick unit. However I was looking for the skimmer because I was just wanting to put some filter material in the thing to clean up the water for now. Then I got to looking in the box and ... no skimmer.

Looked a little closer and the big label taped on the top of the box was not what was written on the side of the box. The top said AquaFuge2 PS the side said AquaFuge2! Looked online to make sure I wasn't stoned, sure enough wrong thing. Had to take the **** thing apart and take it back to the store. Actually happy as PetCo is charging $300 for this thing and you can get the same thing online for $160. Refund in hand I came home and vowed not to touch the tank again today.

"Step away from the aquarium!" It has been a rough few weeks and the only thing I wanted to do was work on the aquascape. Oh well, there is plenty of time.

Go no filtration its pretty awesome. I also have learned that suction cups do not like water very much. Get a PH with a magnetic base and take it off your mind of that ever happening. Somehow my heater suction cups work ok but my glass thermometer likes to float around the tank.

Read the thread tonight. Sorry for the troubles. Don't get discouraged though as one day soon you will have a beautiful SW tank to enjoy and be proud of. As many mentioned take the advice of some of your LFS employees with a grain of salt. There are some really knowledgable people out there but I find all too often I run into know it all kids that really don't know it all lol. Best thing is to ask members here and use google, or get some good books. Also as mentioned nothing in this hobby happens fast that is good so patience and research are key. Research what livestock you want and then decide what's best for your tank to maintain it. IMHO a skimmer and an RODI unit are mandatory and two places not to skimp. Any other filters you may want or need its best to ask members here. Canisters are not commonly used on reefs anymore but some do, they just need to maintained very well. As the LFS that told you that you have to have a refugium is not correct, having one does help reduce nitrates, phosphates, and can provide a constant supply of beneficial pods. Good luck and keep us posted.

I have the Aquafuge 2 PS of the large size. I got it on eBay for only $120. I found it under a search for protien skimmer I think. I'll see if I can bring up my link.

You've had some bad luck, but that only means you're due for some good luck!! :)
I've tried marineland PHs that have the suction cups-hated that they kept falling off. I now have several Aqueon PHs, they have a little lever that enacts the suction, and I've not had any of those fall off, ever. They sell them at Petco.
Hope things start getting easier for you! :)

Go no filtration its pretty awesome. I also have learned that suction cups do not like water very much.

Thinking about trying to find some strong magnets to stick to the PH I already have. Don't want this mess to happen again.

Read the thread tonight. Sorry for the troubles. Don't get discouraged though as one day soon you will have a beautiful SW tank to enjoy and be proud of.

Fingers crossed. :)

I have the Aquafuge 2 PS of the large size. I got it on eBay for only $120.

They are slick units, very nicely built based on the one I had to return. Taking a step back for now. I don't need it yet so time to slow down....

You've had some bad luck, but that only means you're due for some good luck!! :) ... Hope things start getting easier for you! :)

Thank you and I hope you are right about the good luck. :whistle:

Okay, well a new day has started. (y) Last night I was able to get the filter working again so the water is nice and clear again. The PH blowing the sand all over made some interesting piles of sand, actually looks pretty cool. :cool:Starting the day off by doing some major WCs and cleaning on two of my FW tanks. Going to try to finish up mounting the LR in the SW tank today.

I can't figure out if I like the background I have on this tank or not. Thinking I may take it off and paint the back black.

Ok tanks are cleaned. The Ph is the new tank is only at 8 should I start bringing it up now or wait? I was just going to use a little baking soda.

8 isn't really a bad ph. It is more important to maintain a ph then to fluctuate. Yes a little higher would be ideal but for you cycling a new tank it's going to fluctuate some.

Back
Top Bottom