Talking... Endlers Livebearers!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The ones in question are from the CAS mini fish auction a few months ago.

2 bags of fish
1 was identified as Panda Endlers

2nd bag as Endler colony.

They all came as young females and and young fry. In trying to figure out what I bought I hoped they were a single strain and not mixed.

Endler Colony group was identified as having 2 types of Endlers evidenced by the 2 different males coming from the group. So although a colony not a single strain.

Over the months they have grown up. It has taken longer time for the Panda group.

BUT the first male big enough to identify as a specific Endler is a different variety, not Panda, but looks like El Tigre.

So.

I was hopeful they were not mixed. But the Panda, might not be panda but maybe El Tigre or mixed.

This is El Tigre looking Endlers, but also what the "Panda" little guy looked like (but younger) So the "Pandas" might be mixed or a different variety not Panda
60074-albums14814-picture72540.jpg

This is how they came and now getting older can actually see what they might be.
Hi, could you show a picture of the panda endlers? For as far as I know, pandas are guppies and not endlers. Panda s are a bit smaller because of the pink gene. Connected to the pink gene in this case is a dwarf growth gene. That's why they're smaller. I do know that the commercial trade gave the name endler to pandas because of their size. So, I'm very curious of what you call a panda endler. Would you like to show a picture so I'm able to to see it? I'm very curious. Thanks in advance.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`
This is the "Endlers Colony" group in the 8
And from the babies of this "Colony" also came these baby males and of course females but I can;t tell which they are - as basically the same color.

60074-albums14814-picture72537.jpg

These pink and black spots were in the growout babies of the Colony group but removed when they went into the 80G (to the male Guppy Endlers 72G)

So what are the thoughts ?

Add to the mixed tank or into the 80G?
These are red chest endlers.

Thank you!

There are only these 5 now grown up and large females and their young and some of the medium sized ones which were came in the bag as fry when I got them. There were NO males when I got this "Panda" bag. Just very young females and some fry.
60074-albums14814-picture72597.jpg

60074-albums14814-picture72598.jpg

Like these
https://aquaticarts.com/products/blue-panda-guppy

or Guppy versions -

I will say now after looking through google images there are very few "Panda Guppies" and most look like Endlers mixed.

https://www.realaquatics.co.uk/male...opical-freshwater-aquarium-fish-for-sale.html

Last edited:
Since the above "Pandas" came with an El Tigre looking bag mate - which could have been one of the included fry, what do you think? It might not have been a baby.

Emeraldking or also others, into the Endlers tank or the mixed Guppy Endlers grow out tank?

If the Pandas are not true Endlers and mixed with Guppy anyway, they should go to the mixed group of Endlers and Guppies?

Hi,

The guppy shown in this link of yours (https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide-to-starting-a-freshwater-aquarium/) ain't a panda guppy. It's almost a roundtail version of a halfblack - ¾black guppy. This guppy has got nothing to do with panda guppies.

The link that shows socalled dwarf panda guppies (with much blue on it, are unculled panda guppies. I had them as well. But they're the genuine panda guppies. But panda guppies that are kept for linebreeding the original panda guppy phenotype have less blue and more black markings and white on the socalled pink base color. Don't think "pink" as the trendy colors of pink.

Genuine panda guppies have no endler influence in them. The name "endler' with a panda guppy came from the commercial trade. But again, no endler influence has been used to create the panda guppies. They're genuine guppies by all means.
Overhere a video of my panda guppies.

https://youtu.be/tvsRB3tD3gQ

Males like shown in the link you've posted with much more blue do occur by lacking more melanophores (brown/black color cells) and a higher density of cyanophores (blue color cells). I cull them from the group. Like the one below:
panda-mix-089-jpg.103193

That clears up the mud a little bit, lol! Thank you again.

There is much less general Guppy keeping as a serious breeding hobby I think. Endlers very much less so.

Emeraldking, I appreciate you taking the time to pop up with useful, factual information.

Trade names and common names, yikes.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~```

Well the Hornwort began the great melt in the 80G Endlers tank about 5 days ago. I grabbed out 85% of it and put in a big 5G water jug to see if I could later give it away to someone with a pond maybe. But just the ends look green now. I think this tank has about 80 - 90 fry, and near adult Endlers in it.

And the 30G Waterbox, would say 85% of the tank is full of Hornwort now. Fish are having a tough time swimming around lol. This stuff is very good for fry. They can get around in between tiny masses of leaves but the other fish get stuck and get out pretty fast.

Need to take a chunk out and transfer it back to the 80G and give the 30G a bit more swimming room. I have been more careful to add a dose of calcium to the pwc water since our tap water has nearly none.

Not too much time indeed. There are 20+++ things on the list need to get done. It would also be better if things always went smoothly which they definitely do not!!!

It is weird that, (some of us) have more time and still can't get everything done.

Also taking on more tasks needing catching up on like tank deeper cleaning and taking care of several hundred Guppies and Endlers. LOL that wasn't really in my plans. Life is full of surprises.

I sit here looking over at the breeding /fry tank and all the fish are just calmly chilling.

When I get up, the fish rush to the feeding corner - like piranha boiling in a tropical river.

Back
Top Bottom