Tall Aquarium Filter Length

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GroggoftheNorth

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Greetings all!

I recently received a 20 gallon hexagonal tank as a gift along with a power filter. I set up the tank to get it established and one thing has been bugging me. The intake tube for the power filter only comes down about 1/4 of the tank's height. Is that enough? Should it go lower?

A gentleman at the local pet store chain suggested I go to one of the big box hardware stores and purchase some plastic piping to extend the intake down more. But that just seems ... wrong.

Since this is my first time trying to keep fish since I was a young boy, I want to make sure that I've got a set up that won't kill whatever fish I wind up getting.

Thanks for the help!

PS: This is my first time posting here, I apologize if this is in the wrong sub-forum.

I don't think it is that big of an issue, so long as the filter is sized correctly to turn over the right amount of water. If it is, there will be current that will circulate the water, so having a shorter intake won't have much of an effect on anything.

Back
Top Bottom