tall plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rreekers

Aquarium Advice FINatic
what are some plants that grow tall ( 2+ feet) .

im looking for plants that grow relatively fast, under medium light

thank ahead of time for the help

Many stem plants will grow large if left unattended, especially some hygrophilas. Additionally, aponogeton sp. and any swords (Echinodorus sp.) should grow large enough. Swords don't grow particularly fast, but you can sometimes find ones that outgrew their original homes for sale on the SnS.

My bacopa is doing great--it put on over 6 inches in less than a month. Different vallisneria will grow tall as well--jungle vals are great.

I've got some Rotala that is well over two feet. I have to trim four to six inches a week just to keep it below the water line.

I have Vesuvius sword( Echinodorus angustifolia Vesuvius) growing 14 inches in the back of my 55 gallon stuff is great give it a try if you can locate some.

I have vals that are growing crazy. They are about a foot and a half right now and I've trimmed them three times so far since I received them two months ago.

Talvari said:
I have vals that are growing crazy. They are about a foot and a half right now and I've trimmed them three times so far since I received them two months ago.

wow! I was considering getting some but now I for sure get some :)

wow! I was considering getting some but now I for sure get some :)

Is this for your 60 gallon hex that you mentioned recently in your stocking thread? If so, that's going to be a tough tank to light. Vals aren't high light plants by any means, but your tank is so deep, and relatively narrow, that it can be tough to get much to grow. What lighting do you currently have?

I have some water sprite that already grew out of my tank that's 18 inches tall... It grows fast, to the point I see the growth difference each day I come home from work. I have a regular t8 bulb so it's not too demanding on light either.

severum mama said:
Is this for your 60 gallon hex that you mentioned recently in your stocking thread? If so, that's going to be a tough tank to light. Vals aren't high light plants by any means, but your tank is so deep, and relatively narrow, that it can be tough to get much to grow. What lighting do you currently have?

I know lighting is really an issue :/

right now I have 2 18" compact fluorescent bulbs. 40w each .. they are dual daylight bulbs so each is half 6500k and 10k

water snowball (Gymnocoronis spilanthoides) is fantastic for tall tanks. it's thick stemmed and has broad leaves. Mine grew out the top of my 40 gal hex in less than 3 weeks. Growth is measurable every day and it will regrow a new plant from even a fragment of a leaf if given enough time. I've had half a leaf one of my fish chewed off floating in my tank for 3 or 4 weeks and it currently has 3 new plant stems growing out of it.

As far as lighting, my tank is lit only by an LED strip but sits near a window which evens things out.

LittleFoot said:
water snowball (Gymnocoronis spilanthoides) is fantastic for tall tanks. it's thick stemmed and has broad leaves. Mine grew out the top of my 40 gal hex in less than 3 weeks. Growth is measurable every day and it will regrow a new plant from even a fragment of a leaf if given enough time. I've had half a leaf one of my fish chewed off floating in my tank for 3 or 4 weeks and it currently has 3 new plant stems growing out of it.

As far as lighting, my tank is lit only by an LED strip but sits near a window which evens things out.

thanks for the suggestion :)

Back
Top Bottom