Tame fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OwlnTigger

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm new to cichlid ownership since I adopted my sister's seven year old Convict and Jack Dempsey. Unfortunately, bad advice ended up in Owl's (Jack Dempsey) death. Now I have just the Convict named Tigger. I've made many mistakes with him, and thank goodness he is a tough fish. I notice that he is now much more interactive now that Owl is gone. He loves to eat from my hand, and also chases my finger along the glass. He is very wiggly and cute. He seems to know me and looks like he's playing and happy to see me. Is this just aggressive behavior and wishful thinking on my part? Here is a video link to him chasing my finger around.

If tigger eats from your hand he can be considered tame so he is tamed. Him following your finger is him thinking it's food so when you wiggle your finger he tries to attack it.

When you come he is probably happy to see you because human movement=food in fish mind so tigger is going to play around hoping for food.

Armoredspider said:
When you come he is probably happy to see you because human movement=food in fish mind so tigger is going to play around hoping for food.

Thanks for the insight. He is much more visible and active now that he has the tank to himself. I think he was maybe hiding from Owl before he died. Perhaps a territorial thing. He used to rub up against Owl like he wanted to be close to him. They never fought, and sometimes looked as if they were playing. The would each hide on the side of a big rock and slowly creep out until the could see each other, and then would retreat. They also would look like they were talking to each other when they would face each other and almost touch mouths. Like they were kissing. They never chased each other or acted aggressive.

Back
Top Bottom