Taming my Pennywort

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GoatcheesePizza

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey people,
I got a pennywort (i think) a while back. Its looks like a bunch of lillypads coming off of each other so if that is a pennywort then thats what i have. But anyways... I have had one for a lil while and it is growing too big for my ten gallon tank. its coming out of the water! I was wondering how i could "tame" it. Like make it smaller somehow?

You can trim it to make it shorter. You can plant the trimming and it will grow as a new plant.

Okay thats what i thouhgt. JUst making sure. But do i cut the other stems at the base of where the branch off? and what do i use to cut them? just plain scissors?

I'm not sure though but what I did with mine is cut below the roots. Not the roots in the substrate but where the leaves attach to the stem. I also tried cutting above the roots and plant the stem with no roots and both grew. I think as long as the trimming has leaves that it'll be fine.

Reactions: HN1
Okay cool. Thanks roydooms! also this way i wont have to buy many more plants for a while. lol

Yea. It's like free plants. After a few weeks it'll look like the mother plant(size wise). Before you know it you'll run out of space to plant your trimmings.

I setup a 20g tank for the trimmings and a QT tank as well. Now I'm setting up a 55g for plants. In a week or 2 I'll have a bunch of ludwigias and will need a new tank to put it in. :)

Wow you have a lot of tanks! hah All i have is my 10g and a 40g out in the garage that still has yet to be set up.

I have 2-30g breeder tanks that I still need to set-up. I'm thinking making one a planted tank :D and the other one for my discus pair.

I'll give you a few months and I bet you'll have the same amount of tanks as me :D

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom