Tang Trouble

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Donnie2112

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I guess this is a war story more then a question, I decided to try adding a small powder blue tang to my tank which was previously stocked with just 5 chromis and a 3 1/2 to 4 inch yellow tang. Any way my yellow tang flared up and went to town chasing and trying to beat the tar out of the poor powder blue. So I quickly netted the powder blue and moved him down to my sump. I am planning on taking the powder blue back to the store tomorrow. The only thing I guess I'd like to know is if there's any reason the little guy shouldn't be in the sump for tonight and most of tomorrow? Also is there anything that is worth trying to try to get them to get along? Even if there is a way I don't think I want to risk it. I feel like a dummy for risking it, I had read and seen a lot of tanks that mixed those two species and thought it should be ok. Bummer deal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok the ONLY ways you can get them along (and it's still uncertain) is by:
1) Having a big enough tank. And were talking big here.
2) Introducing them at the same time into a large tank. (risky)
He should be fine in the sump for a day. :D Sorry it didn't work. :(

Don't blame yourself for this. Things like this happen all the time in the marine aquarium world. Lots of things we hope to work out don't. I'll tell you what though, the yellow tang could have just been picking on the powder blue tang because of the size difference. I think that you would stand a better chance of having them get along if you just got a larger sized powder blue. Maybe the size of the yellow tang or at least near the exact size. If you still want to get a powder blue in the near future, i would say to at lest give it a shot with a bigger fish. One that won't be more easily pushed around by the yellow tang.

Btw, if your "My Tanks" is correct, and you only have a 55G, then i would imagine it would be cramped for the yellow tang, especially with 90lbs of rock. I know from experience that 75lbs of rock takes up a good portion of the tank since I myself, have a 55G tank.. so i hope your current yellow tang has some room to swim. I also hope that you are aware that the recommended size tank for a tang of any sort is 70G at the minimum. Now that i come to think of it, having two tangs in that 55G would definitely be a bad idea, and if you didn't get rid of the powder blue, you could have risked one of them being extremely stressed out from the lack of swimming space, and then ich could have occurred. I don't think that having a tang in a 55G is in any case a good idea if you want whats best for the fish, let alone 2 tangs in a 55G.

JMO though.

I agree with Zer0 and I would recommend returning your powder blue as you plan on doing and not even trying to get them to get a long primarily because of your tank size. He's right in saying that you need a 70g tank or bigger for even one tang. I do hope though that you have enough room in that tank for the yellow tang to swim. JMO

swimming space

My yellow tang seems to have been doing really well, I'd say he spends half of his day swimming around in about a quarter of the tank. There's a couple of rocks that he seems to likes to graze on a lot. I've also built my rock so that there's lots of spaces for him to swim around and underneath. and there's some space above the rocks for him to swim around as well. I just am thinking that anything else that's bigger then say a percula clown would be a really bad idea.

I have a couple of friends that have multiple tangs and I thought maybe I could get away with it too. Guess it didn't work out.

My yellow tang seems to have been doing really well, I'd say he spends half of his day swimming around in about a quarter of the tank. There's a couple of rocks that he seems to likes to graze on a lot. I've also built my rock so that there's lots of spaces for him to swim around and underneath. and there's some space above the rocks for him to swim around as well. I just am thinking that anything else that's bigger then say a percula clown would be a really bad idea.

I have a couple of friends that have multiple tangs and I thought maybe I could get away with it too. Guess it didn't work out.

don't forget that fish grow. that little yellow tang will grow to 6-8 inches. Then the tank will be to small for him. I am going to put one in my 55 but I have plans for a 90 or 120 soon

My girlfriend and I will probably end up upgrading at some point or another, I am about hooked and I want another tank. Probably end up finding a 120 and then keep the 55 as well.

also I did end up taking back the powder blue, I traded him for a Favia Brain. Pretty sweet. I am thinking with my tank I am just going to get a Green Coris Wrasse and a little Indigo Dottyback and then I'll be done. It might be a little crowded in there but, it's gonna be sweet. I also put a rose bubble anemone on order.

How long has your tank been up? You know that its not a good idea to buy anemones unless your tank is mature and has been up for 6 months or more. If water parameters are not to its liking and light isnt strong enough, it could wind up taking a walk around the tank and getting sucked up into a powerhead or filter and then nuking your tank once it dies. Hope you know this, but JMO though.

I have to agree with Zer0. Make sure that your tank is ready for an anemone, we just lost a BTA since we didn't do our homework before buying it.

Back
Top Bottom