Tang

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Taran

Aquarium Advice Regular
Her fins are chewed and looks thin. Any fatty supplements

image-4116696642.jpg

image-1743219276.jpg

you can recommend?

I would reccomend putting a clip of dried seaweed in there and let her forage on that. Tangs are herbivores.

Wow, if this is the same yellow tang that you have multiple posts on over the last several months, it is deteriorating quickly. A couple months ago, the fins looked much better and it looked like HLLE was the issue. in those prior posts, you have been given suggestions when it appeared to just be HLLE. Are you following them?

I also notice in other posts that people have asked how big the tank is and an answer was never given. Im going to assume by the picture, its at least half the size it should be.

Not to be mean, but this is another example of a stressed tang in a tank that is too small. Stress will bring on several health issues with fish. IMO, the answer is to get it into a proper sized tank, maintain pristine water conditions and make sure its eating a proper diet, with lots of seaweed/nori. I'd supplement with vitamins as well. Keeping it in a small tank is leading to a slow death.

It is a 70 gallon cylinder aquarium. Its my customers.

I know there are people out there that will swear that tank size does not matter, but I am convinced that it does. The generally accepted rule for most Tangs (by those that follow the science and learning/observations of the experienced salties) is that they require a six foot tank. It has to do with both their eventual size and their swimming habits. I'm guessing this tank is probably 2'-3' wide? If so, this Tang is always going to be stressed. by the looks of it, my bet is that it dies by the end of the year (that is being generous on time). If this is the same fish from the old posts, you can see how much it has changed in a short period of time. If it was being cared for properly, it should be on the road to recovery by now. HLLE takes a while to clear up, but this fish is going the wrong direction.

Gotcha. Then i will find a home for her. Meanwhile we have increased her diet and all water parameters are within perfect range. RO water.

Tank size and diet could be the cause..But it is a round tank so that does help..Not sure if this helps but I read a article with a guy who had the same thing going on with his tangs.. it may have been a you tube video he claimed he put miricle mud in his sump and he claims it saved his tangs maybe worth the research or it could be a gimick maybe others can chim in also..Thought I'd share that info with ya though ..

Taran

My Yellow tang looked like that when I purchased him from the pet store. I took him out of a small 20 gallon tank against my better judgment, but I couldn't stand to see the guy like that. I only have a 55 gallon tank and he is about 5 inches long now and all his fins are grown back.

He is healthy and looks like he is having a good time swimming between the rocks. So does size matter? I would say yes, but 55 is 100% better than the 20 gallon they had the poor fish in. He was put in there because the other fish attacked the guy. So he was in a 20 gallon tank with a Yellow Eye Tang. I bought both!

I am upgrading to a 180 gallon, but not for another year. What I did to get my guy back to health is Garlic Guard and Mysis Shrimp mixed with a good pellet. Plus Sea Weed on a clip every other day. I don't know if the Garlic Guard helped, but I am sure the diet did.

Also I was dumb, because I did not QT the Tangs when I bought them. I know I should have because of the condition the Yellow Tang was in, but I didn't have a QT tank. So I did put my other fish at risk, which I shouldn't have done. But, thankfully it did not back fire on me..

Also I don't think all of that guys fins will grow back, he looks like he is down to the base on some. If you can get him back to good health he will regrow a lot of the fins back, but he will be permanently scared. I am lucky enough that my tang had no base damage.

I have brought tangs back with practically no dorsal fin. He needs peace and quiet along with some good food sources, dried sea weed, romaine lettuce, shrimp, etc. The secret with tangs is low stress and good diet. That's why we harp on tank size and the type of stock you have. Surgeonfish (tangs) have thin slime coats and are "the canary in the mine." they tend to get parasites and sicken if they aren't in a environment that allows them to be as calm as possible.

Back
Top Bottom