TangoTank's Fishless Cycle, nearing the end!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TangoTank

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 15 gal column w/ a HOB, an 8" bubble wand, gravel substrate & NOT planted w/ heater.

I began my fish less cycle May 7th. I feel I'm nearing the end. Thinking about a PWC today, haven't changed it in almost 2 weeks. I'm going on vacation Thursday for one week! ACK!! Obviously I'll need to reevaluate my params right before the trip but what am I gonna do?? Would you get fish & let my pet keeper feed them ~OR~ turn the heat off (my house is 78 ) & just dose ammonia to 4.0ppm, pray for the best? I possibly could have my pet keeper put ammonia in there but don't wanna ask her to test the tank. Thanks!!

PH is stable @ 8.0
Temp: 84
Ammonia: 0.5ppm, 1.0ppm yesterday
NitrItes: >5.0ppm
NitrAtes: 40-80ppm, 40ppm yesterday

I would keep dosing ammonia until Wed. Then Wed do a massive water change and keep everything on (filters, heater, etc) and redose to 4 again. The tank should be fine for a week without ammonia. Then when you come back, just start dosing again and see what happens. At worst, it might take a small hit and take a few days to get back on track but nothing major should happen. I wouldn't leave new fish in a new tank alone for a week without someone who knows about aquariums, that's just me though.

I agree with Librarygirl- follow her instructions & you should be fine! There may be a slight hiccup when you return but things should jump on track pretty quickly! Enjoy your vacation! :)

Thanks for the input!! Ammonia was down to .25ppm today (this is the 1st dose of ammonia since it zero'ed out from the very 1st dose of starter ammonia) & NitrAtes were at 80ppm. So I did a big PWC today & dosed the ammonia back up to 4.0ppm. Kept the heater on, gonna hope for the best! I'll be back next Thurs!

I have an idea...

I've read those 'vacation' fish feeders are notorious for releasing too much food while we're away and often do more harm than good by leaving uneaten food decomposing all over our tanks and wreaking havoc -- becoming little more than little ammonia factories.

An ammonia factory wreaking havoc while you're away -- during the midst of a fishless cycle? Hmmm...

Might be worth a try, no?

Interesting idea but I would not want to come home to the mess & fungus from the food after a vacation! The tank and bacteria will be fine!

Back
Top Bottom