Tank and its fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishfanatic16

Aquarium Advice Activist
Tell me what you think of my fish choice for my tank.
1 55g Oscar and a couple of Angels
1 50g undecided thanking of som goldfish or cichlids tell me what you think I should get.
1. 20g undecided thanking of some colder water fish plz tell me what u think or feel free to give some advice thanks

the oscar will eat the angels then he will need a bigger tank

I think the Oscar tank size us fine I was also concerned of the angels the can get up to 6-7 in so I was thinking of getting a almost full grown one and letting them grow together I have seen it done before several times and there were no mishaps

Fishfanatic16 said:
I think the Oscar tank size us fine I was also concerned of the angels the can get up to 6-7 in so I was thinking of getting a almost full grown one and letting them grow together I have seen it done before several times and there were no mishaps

55g would be OK for one Oscar for a limited amount of time but definitely not permanently. This small space would only make them even more aggressive. They also like to be in numbers. If i were going to do Oscars, i would do 4-6 in a 220g species only tank, maybe a pleco. They also dirty the water fairly quickly so you would have to splurge on filtration. Probably 2 canister filters. Oscars are often mistaken for a beginner fish but because of their potential size and tank requirement, thinks can get a little tricky. They are a great fish though with tons of personality

Tcal01 said:
55g would be OK for one Oscar for a limited amount of time but definitely not permanently. This small space would only make them even more aggressive. They also like to be in numbers. If i were going to do Oscars, i would do 4-6 in a 220g species only tank, maybe a pleco. They also dirty the water fairly quickly so you would have to splurge on filtration. Probably 2 canister filters. Oscars are often mistaken for a beginner fish but because of their potential size and tank requirement, thinks can get a little tricky. They are a great fish though with tons of personality

I respectfully disagree Oscars are like alot of cichlids territorial and will not do well with other oscars unless they are mainly female and there isn't more than one male

i have read NOTHING that says oscars like to be in groups,and i still dont think oscars and angels would work. an oscar can get 12 inches long,and IMO would make an easy meal of a similar sized angel

alLexX said:
i have read NOTHING that says oscars like to be in groups,and i still dont think oscars and angels would work. an oscar can get 12 inches long,and IMO would make an easy meal of a similar sized angel

OK maybe not a schooling fish but i wouldn't consider them to be solitary

OK maybe not a schooling fish but i wouldn't consider them to be solitary
ive seen tanks that have been pulled off with more than one oscar,but im pretty sure they are just as likely to kill each other as they are to get along. i know hukits mated pair ended up with one being killed,and i imagine that it would be more likely if they werent a pair

I have rarely seen a tank with only one Oscar in it. There are usually a few of them. Oscars out-compete other fish for food too so if they are with their own kind it is less likely to happen. Yea there will be fights but they will have their space if they are in a big enough tank, like a 220. Other tank mates include are leporinus, severums, and some catfish.

I have rarely seen a tank with only one Oscar in it. There are usually a few of them. Oscars out-compete other fish for food too so if they are with their own kind it is less likely to happen. Yea there will be fights but they will have their space if they are in a big enough tank, like a 220. Other tank mates include are leporinus, severums, and some catfish.
most oscar tanks ive seen have been 55-75 gallon tanks with 1 oscar in them. and this is getting off topic,i believe the op's tank is a 55

alLexX said:
most oscar tanks ive seen have been 55-75 gallon tanks with 1 oscar in them. and this is getting off topic,i believe the op's tank is a 55

Sorry you're right. 55g is the bare minimum though

i really wouldnt mix the oscar, and angel. just because there both cichlids doesnt mean that they can go together. i think a 55g is allmost mean for an oscar. once they get to there adult size they can hardly turn around.

Back
Top Bottom