Tank became destroyed after upgrade need help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jaydizzle707

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Okay basically I had a 20g tank with a bunch of plants and fish and it just looked great. I decided to get a 29g off craigslist for only 45 sweet deal with lighting included.

I get it and put soil on the bottom then put like 3 inches of sand over the soil. Fast forward two weeks to now, my tank is COVERED in this brown algae and snails. Im guessing the brown algae are diatoms. If I go back to my old tank will they go away? These diatom things are all over my plants rocks and decorations and are taking over my entire tank even my filter has them EVERYWHERE. Please help

From what I have read on here, diatoms will die off in time. Keep up with water changes and you should be good.

Yes. Diatoms will go away when all of the silicates are consumed. They feed off of that - when they run out of food supply they will die.

Or if not diatoms, keeping up with a schedule'd PWC will reduce nutrients that cause algal blooms.

Back
Top Bottom