Tank bed advice needed! Please lend a hand!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

2010FLSTFRider

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I got my 12 year old daughter a 5 gal bow tank kit with the whisper filter and led light. I put aragonite as a base and rooted e plants that are doing well; the only fish in this tank is a beta.
I change 10% of the water every other week, and have replaced the filter after a month of use.
Do I vacuum the aragonite with a gravel vacuum, leave it alone, or get a small cleanup crew to maintain the soil? My numbers have been on target when I tested the water.
I appreciate the input. I was a reef guy with a bare bottom tank with 150 crabs and snails, along with some shrimp to help maintain my tank.

Sounds like your on track. I would not worry about the sand unless you feel it looks ugly.

Most recommend a water change every week. It helps replenish all the minerals and stuff in the tank. You do not need to change your filter cartridge for a long time. Just swish it in some treated water and squeeze out the gunk. You get rid of your beneficial bacteria when you change your filter and it will send your tank into a mini cycle. Only replace the filter when it is falling apart. I vacuum my sand about once a week or so. If you have live plants, most advise not to clean the sand. I don't like the gunk floating on the sand so I clean mine. Did you cycle your tank before adding fish?

Back
Top Bottom