Tank bullies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VulpuixScyther

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just have a quick question!
I have two Danios that eat up all of the food during feeding time. They don't chase any of the fish away but they do just get to it quicker.

I know that Danios are school fish so I was wondering if it would help for me to get a few more.

I have a 60 gallon, live planted tank with sand substrate, and two pieces of driftwood. There are 6 neon tetras, two rosy minnows, 2 danios, and one male betta. They all live fairly peacefully together! My pH is a little lower than 8.4, ammonia levels are 0, nitrites are 0, and nitrates are 5.0.
I feed my fish the smallest pinch of food around 3 to 4 times a day. They gobble it up in about 5 to 10 seconds.
All of my fish are displaying good, healthy activity.

My only concern is my male betta who I know isn't exactly a community fish. He's okay right now but I don't wanna stress him out by adding more fish to my tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Honestly I would do 1 or 2 bigger feedings. Not huge but you might have to feed more slowly until other fish get some. Little by little watching to make sure everybody eats. There always seems to be some hogs in the tank.

Betta should be fine as long as nobody is harassing him. If they are give him his own tank!

36g semi-aggressive
20g community
10g betta, nano fish, shrimp
3g betta

Danios do tend to be very enthusiastic when it comes to feeding time. Try either feeding the fish in different parts of the tank or separating them with a net or something at feeding time if that doesn't work. And even if it doesn't help the food problem, you should still get more danios. They tend to be either more aggressive or more shy in smaller groups. Maybe move the betta to his own tank before doing that? I hope this helps...

Yep! That helps. I'll get some Danios. I had a plan to set up my 10 gallon for my betta, buy a 20 long for my danios, and find a new home for the minnows since I know they tend to carry parasites.
I haven't carried out that plan yet though. I'm waiting until I have the money to buy everything that I need.

As above said larger feeds 1-2 per day and just sit and watch when three feeding to make sure all of the fish get some if there not try feeding a bit more and you will find the right balance and yes more danios as the do school but be careful there no much smaller than your current ones as they can be very aggressive with each other.

I have very active Danios and doing one feed a day, I put food next to the current from filter so it gets spread straight away, even the shrimp at the bottom gets some!

Kione

I've been feeding them in larger amounts and everything looks good!
Haven't gotten the danios yet. :/ Hopefully I can do that soon. They seem to be growing more aggressive.

Yeah they tend to get a little punkish when there aren't enough of their own kind around.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom