Tank Cleaning Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IowaGuy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello friends. Before I ask my question, I'll briefly frame it. For 20+ years I had a series of successful freshwater tanks ranging from 10 to 30 gallons (no live plants in them). About every 12 to 18 months I would completely drain the tank, scrub all the parts and pieces, give the stones a good washing, and then reassemble.

I'm now approaching the end of my second year with my very first planted tank. While it hasn't been completely successful, I think I'm doing okay considering how much I didn't know about planted tanks to begin with. One of the things I would change if I could would be the eco-complete substrate I'm using...and would not use it again.

Here's my question - is there a recommended interval for gutting a tank and giving it a thorough cleaning? Or is it really at my discretion? Anyone know what the life of eco-complete might be??

Thanks! Looking forward to great advice like I've received in the past.

I don't believe it to be necessary to"gut" a tank in any such interval simply for the purpose of cleaning.. planted substrates have a lifespan that is mostly determined by the absorbtion of the nutrients they provide for the plants themselves..at.that point you could supplement with root tabs or change up to a different planted substrate..for cleaning- clean my filters/powerheads bi-weekly(with tank water while performing pwc's)-prefilter sponges weekly(with tank water)..I would never suggest a "gutting" of a tank simply for cleaning...

One of the things I would change if I could would be the eco-complete substrate I'm using...and would not use it again.

What's wrong with the Eco-Complete? To my understanding, this type of substrate (along with Floramax, Flourite, etc.) have a high CEC (Cation Exchange Capacity) which enables the substrate to absorb nutrients and then feed them to the roots of the plants. You can supply the extra nutrients through a good fertilization routine and a good quality root tab. The 'trace' elements that the substrate comes with is negligible and will be replace with what you and your fish supplement to it.

I'm currently using Floramax in two of my tanks and I'm absolutely happy that I switched out my gravel to it. The only substrate that I would get to replace it, if money was no object, is ADA Amazonia aqua soil. But to all intents and purposes, the Floramax is giving me amazing growth. Eco-Complete, from what I read, is the same as Floramax except Caribsea just adds in that bacteria water to it.

But to answer your question, I wouldn't do a complete gutting unless you want to do a rescape or swap out the substrate.

Thanks for the feedback. I was purely asking if there are any recommendations about how often to tear down and clean. I have a lot of miles to travel on my journey of learning about planted tanks. For example, until well into my efforts with live plants did I learn that WC's needed to be far more significant than I was doing.

IowaGuy said:
Thanks for the feedback. I was purely asking if there are any recommendations about how often to tear down and clean. I have a lot of miles to travel on my journey of learning about planted tanks. For example, until well into my efforts with live plants did I learn that WC's needed to be far more significant than I was doing.

Yeah more frequent pwc's...I do 50% pwc's on all my tanks weekly..
75g planted SA Tank
ForumRunner_20121009_184840.jpg

tiger terror... what type of cichlid is that in front there? That's not a green terror is it? Nice looking cichlid nonetheless!

Brian_Nano12g said:
tiger terror... what type of cichlid is that in front there? That's not a green terror is it? Nice looking cichlid nonetheless!

Yeah its an adolescent green terror..he's beginning to color up nicely...funny thing though is that I have a SA Pike(aka belly crawler) that is his minion named Egor..
A pic of em hovering below the green terror..
ForumRunner_20121009_212200.jpg

Back
Top Bottom