tank cover

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Elwood

Aquarium Advice Regular
Other than to hold the light, do I need the tank cover?
30 gal
mollies
ghost catfish
rainbow

Almost any fish can jump out of an uncovered tank. If you don't want/or can't afford a cover I would suggest keeping the water line two or so inches below the top of the tank - just to make sure your fish are safe.

I find you lose a lot more water to evaporation without a tank cover, especially on smaller tanks.

yeah, a tank cover is very valuable to the tank, it prevents things from falling in the tank from up above, it keeps fish from jumping out, offers protection from frisky feline critters, the best option is an all glass cover, there heavier adn more durable than the plastic ones and alot easier to clean

I switched from the junky stock plastic ones to all glass ones. I'll never go back. They were about $10-15 a piece from PetSmart and make the tank look so much nicer.

OP, how cold does it get in missouri, and how dry? The main benefit/drawback of an open top is evaporation. You lose a LOT of heat with an open top (therefore a lot of water) which is great in the hot summer months where your trying to keep the tank temp down, but in the winter it can really put a strain on your tank heater.

Back
Top Bottom