Tank Crash

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kdklovesfish

Aquarium Advice Freak
About two weeks ago my 15gl tank smelled NASTY (like death) so acclimated all of my fish from the 15gl to my 55gl and did a total water change. I left the filter working and kept my sand substrate. The only thing in the tank is the sand and MTSs. I knew this would crash my cycle. But I figured that it would renew it's self before now, or at least be getting there. No such luck....

I use a API Master Test Kit:
PH is 7.8
Ammonia is 8.0
Nitrite is in between 2.0 and 5.0 (So close in color!!!)
Nitrate is in between 0 and 5.0

So what now?

Did you not use dechlor when you changed all the water? It shouldn't have crashed your cycle. something must have happened before that to take out all of your bacteria. What have you done with the tank lately?

Yeah, I used Prime like I always do. I have been doing 30% PWC every other day since I removed all the water. Other than that I haven't done anything because I thought the tank would take care of it's self and my fish are fine in the 55gl. My sand still smells really bad. I realize that sand should smell, my sand in the 55gl smells, but not like this... Gross... Do I need to get rid of the sand? Confused!

How often have you vacuumed the sand? If not often you might just have a ton of detritusbuilt up

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I keep fry in that tank, so I don't use the vacuum often. A build up is exactly what I thought too. I used the vacuum to empty the water. After the tank was empty I used my hands to move the sand around a bunch. Then after a week of the tank not getting any better smelling, I moved the sand around again. Fast forward another week and I'm still getting yucky smells and bad water readings...

The only other things that I thought could be the problem is my MTSs. I had a ton of them, so I sold a bunch. I still have some, but they aren't taking over any more.

Back
Top Bottom