Tank currently cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bj5z25

Aquarium Advice Regular
In my 75 gal tank I have 2 damsels, jaubert filter, canister filter, berlin protein skimmer, 90 pounds of sand, 20 pounds of live rock, 2 kinds of leather coral and 1 baby anemone. The tank has been up and running for 2 weeks and the live rock has been in for about 4 days. The fish were just added last night and I have questions on how I can successfully maintain excellent water quality so I can keep varieties of fish and inverts. The ammonia is currently between 0 and .25, the specific gravity is 1.022, the nitrite is .1 ppm, and the nitrates are at 20 ppm. Are these readings bad or good. I really don't want everything in my tank to die so I am asking for some advice on how I maintain this tank. Also another question I have is how often do I have to perform water changes, and do I have to add water to the tank everyday as it evaporates.

i think you would have been better off cycling the tank completely. and also with nitrites detectable you will sometimes get a false reading on nitrates. i do a water change before i am going to put a new fish or invert into my tank and anytime nitrates show up at 10ppm but thats just me

Back
Top Bottom