Tank cycled!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ScaredClownLoach

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all just letting you know I've cycled my 10gal tank.. Took a long time but got there.

Now I have one concern I'm not sure how to keep it stable after doing weekly water changes.. My filter media is blocked up I'm not sure how to clean it without destroying the cycle.

I have this bit of sponge thing that sits in the top, then just underneath it has heaps of white onion ring shaped things? Which one do I clean without destroying the cycle?

Thanks

What did you use to cycle it? How is your filter already full of junk? Rinse sponge, don't mess with the rings.

When you do a water change rinse the sponge in USED tank water, squeeze it gently & if any chunks don't come off pull them off. As for the rings, I don't usually see any gunk on them just discoloration from the dirty water but you can swish them in used tank water if need be. If you ever replace the sponge, rinse it in used tank water instead of tap.

I did a fish in cycle. I have no idea but when i did a water change the other day, i replugged in the filter and all the gunk when into the clean water from the filter. Not only that the filter use to make alot of bubbles and noise and it dosnt as much anymore. I peeked inside the filter yesterday and see a lot of fish poo on the white things. I think im going to have to clean them some how. Just worried im going to lose the cycle.

Thanks for replying shellica, so do you suggest i do the rings and the sponge at the same time or seperately? Thanks all

You don't want to clean all your media at one time or you risk going into another mini cycle, clean mech one week and bio the next or longer if you feel like you have to but alternate between the them.

Back
Top Bottom