tank cycling not working?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cheymstoc

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I've been trying to cycle a 10 gallon tank for over a month now (using the raw shrimp method) and the bacteria isn't growing. My tests show 2 ppm of ammonia but no nitrite or nitrate (ph is 8.2ppm). WHY? :confused: id like help to figure out what i am doing wrong.

My 10g took 8 wks to cycle & nitrItes didn't show up for me until week 6 BUT I did a fish IN cycle with 1 Betta & 1 mystery snail. Cycling can take up to 8 wks so what youre experiencing isn't unheard of. Do you have just one shrimp in there? You might add another shrimp or half of one to bump up the ammonia. Has the ammo been 2 from your 1st reading of ammonia?

yes, one jumbo shrimp. yes its stayed at 2 for a while. i was wondering if it would be safe if i put a mystery snail in or if its too late? would it help or would it just harm the snail?

I would bump up the shrimp. Mystery snails have a big bio load but not as big as 2 rotting shrimp. I understand ammo's been 2 for a long time but was it ever any higher?

I would bump up the shrimp. Mystery snails have a big bio load but not as big as 2 rotting shrimp. I understand ammo's been 2 for a long time but was it ever any higher?

I should add, that you would have to lower the ammonia to add any live inhabitants.

Just go to local hardware store and get pure ammonia add 1/2 ml until desired level then keep it at 3-4 ppm until it keeps dropping jo matter how much u add

Back
Top Bottom