Tank for Betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Newfisher

Aquarium Advice Activist
For a baby Betta...do I need to cycle the 1 gallon tank? It has a filter and light. It is a Betta kit from Petco. It has Betta water, conditioner, and food. It does not have a heater but I have an extra 50 watt heater...should I use a heater in a Betta tank? I put gravel and tiny silk Betta plants and a tiny flower pot for her cave in the tank.what temp. Should the water be?

I have my adult Bettas in 1 gallons no filter or heater and I change water once a week the oldest is about 3 years old . My room temp is between 65 ish and 80 ish depending on time of year but I'm still learning about Betta they are tropical so would do better with 75-80 I think

Thank you for your response about the question of the heater/temperature. Should I cycle? Right now she is in a community tank but I want to move her. Some of her tank mates and her do not seem to like each other...lol. I am trying to cycle the little tank but cycling does take time and I am a bit concerned about her safety.

There are differing opinions on how to keep Bettas. Some think anything smaller than 2.5 gallons is just too small for the fish, and would prefer nothing under a 5G. Some think the bowls and other small containers are fine.

Don't want to get into that debate.. I kept mine in 2.5 G tanks, with small filters so I did not have to do as frequent water changes. No heater, they don't really need tropical temperatures and did fine, but this apartment is on the warm side much of the year, so I have fans running more often than not.

You would have to do a 50% water change every few days at the least, if you have no filter and use a container one gallon in size. Most tap water is ok with dechlorinator added first, you don't need special Betta water for them.

Bettas don't often get along with other fish, though there are exceptions, generally, they are best alone except at breeding time of course.

Thank you Fishfur for your detailed response. My betta is a tiny baby who probably will not be a big girl. She has short fins and tail. The tank msy be temporary if she gets to be bigger than I expect. I plan to run the filter that came with the tank kit. At the moment I am cycling the tank but still have not determined from any source if a Betta tank needs to be cycled. Does it? If not I will change out the water and move her.

I am gunna be the person to suggest not putting her in there, sorry :)

I personally will not put them in anything smaller than 3 gallons. For me, 3 gallons is the safest small tank size to heat, it'll give them some space to move and grow, and I can light them fairly easy. I once had a male betta in a 25 gallon hexagon tank (yup, you read that right) and it was amazing how active he was! After seeing that, 3 gallons is the bare min. I would put them in. I suppose a 2.5g would work as long as it is heated/filtered, but anyways. I prefer 5.5g tanks and up. My bettas range from 5.5g tanks to 25g community tanks (I have two)

As for the temp, anything between 80 and 84 is fine for them.
I always recomend cycling a tank, whether fish in or fishless. The problem with such a small tank though is that toxins will build up incredibly fast, and smaller tanks are generally harder to cycle and keep cycled. While I was treating one betta for bloat, he was in a SUPER HEAVILY planted 1g jar. I had to do 1-2 75% water changes a day to keep ammonia down to .25. It was a PITA and I would prefer to not have to do it again, even if I had all those plants. (Which help with the toxins)

If you run a filter you are cycling the tank. IMO, a 1g is too small for a filter & is more hassle than its worth. IME, running a filter on a 1g creates too much current. I personally only use a 1g tank for a hospital or QT tank. The smallest I permanently house a Betta in is a 2.5g tank & I'm of the school that they need to have water temps of 78-80F. Your 1g tank will work fine IF you do required water changes. For my 2.5g unfiltered I do 2 50%+ water changes per week with a 100% every 2-3 weeks.

Thank you Scottyhorse...I will keep cycling. I thought that was the thing to do. As far as tank size...when her new tank is cycled, I plan to move her out of the community tank into the 1 gal. filtered cycled tank for a while until she grows a bit. I have never had nor planned to have a Betta. She was acquired by mistake of my LFS. But now that I have her, Emily deserves a good home. Wish me luck on cycling and maintaining a cycle on such a tiny tank ( temporary though it may be).

If you are going to put in a filter, you might as well cycle it.. use aged media from the other tank and it will be cycled almost instantly. But it's not essential if you are going to do the frequent water changes in a small container.

Ideally, I don't disagree with Scottyhorse.. though I think debating the size of tank issue is kind of pointless, too many people are going to do what they are going to do, regardless of the fish. I'm not suggesting the OP is doing this, clearly not the case !

If you can provide them, I think larger tanks are better, though as a baby it's not as much of an issue now as it will be once it is grown. Females can be larger than males, so it might grow a fair bit.

I used 2.5s because it was what I had room for and I ended up with two damaged fish whose owners wanted someone else to care for them.. so I took them on. I'd have preferred bigger tanks for them, but they did well enough in the 2.5s. Bare bottom, a bit of moss, small cycled filter without much flow, salt and almond leaves to help heal badly damaged fins.

Thank you Shellieca for your response. I will keep up with the required water changes each week and run the filter, since it came with the tank. If it seems like too much current, then I will remove it.

Thank you Fishfur for your detailed response. My betta is a tiny baby who probably will not be a big girl. She has short fins and tail. The tank msy be temporary if she gets to be bigger than I expect. I plan to run the filter that came with the tank kit. At the moment I am cycling the tank but still have not determined from any source if a Betta tank needs to be cycled. Does it? If not I will change out the water and move her.

Even though your fish is a baby, she would be happier in something a little bit bigger. I have a smaller than the average size betta and she is super active. I started her out in a smaller tank and moved her up to a ten gallon. She's obviously happier in a bigger tank and constantly checking out every corner of it.

I'm not saying get her a ten gallon, but if you're interested in your fish living a long happy life go to petsmart or petco or wherever you go. You can get the bow front 2.5 for about $30 I think? Well worth the price and your fish will thank you. Comes with light and filter. She's going to get bigger anyway you'll have to get a bigger tank eventually! Why not go ahead and make her happy now?

With a one gallon tank you're going to be changing all the water every couple of days. I do a 50% change on my 2.5g with filter once a week. It's much easier to handle. Bettas don't have a lot of waste production. No need to cycle a 1-2.5g tank. Of course you need to let the treated water sit out next to your tank for about 24 hours to make sure it's the same temp as your tank, but you will change the water too often to worry about cycling.

Edit: 1g are really small and bettas don't like strong currents. I would recommend against a filter in a 1g.

Thank you Cadet for your very good advise. I will get a larger tank everybody...I see the error of my ways. I will use this little tank for a QT. Emily will enjoy a larger tank. I will get a 5gal with filter (?). Thanks everyone for so much wisdom. I have been fish keeping for a few years but know nothing about Bettas.

They can be very personable, charming fish to have around. They can learn to come when you feed them, some even take food from your hand. I think you'll find they are a bit addictive.. fortunately for me, I have no more room for more tanks, so I can't succumb to much in the way of temptation, though I often look at the Bettas in stores longingly.

Thank you Cadet for your very good advise. I will get a larger tank everybody...I see the error of my ways. I will use this little tank for a QT. Emily will enjoy a larger tank. I will get a 5gal with filter (?). Thanks everyone for so much wisdom. I have been fish keeping for a few years but know nothing about Bettas.

You're welcome anytime! And welcome to the betta world! Prepare to be thoroughly entertained by their little personalities :)

Back
Top Bottom