Tank hangs over edge of table

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

benda

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm new to the hobby and purchased this 29 gallon tank 5 days ago. As the picture below shows, the tank hangs over the edge of the table about 2-3 inches on each side.

Dsc02154.jpg

I found out today that this could lead to a crack in the tank, so at lunch I came home from work and emptied about 8 gallons of water (as much as I could and still permit the filter and heater to function).

How urgently do I need to buy a proper stand? Can I wait another 24-36 hours, or should I do something about it immediately?

Thanks in advance.

No telling just when something is likely to give out. But you did the smart thing in draining some of the water to relieve some pressure. Hopefully, this will work out for you.

That table will probably be fine as long as the only pressure is straight down towards gravity, but every time it gets bumped at all those legs will wobble and loosen the bite those relatively tiny screws have on the wood. It's just generally a much too weak looking structure to be putting 300 pounds on considering that you will get an occasional sideways or twisting force.

It's hard to say if it will last a day or two. Just make sure noone bumps into it and there isn't alot of traffic near it and you should be fine until you can get a stand int he next couple days.

The picture wasn't up when I posted earlier, and I didn't know whether you had fish in the tank. Since you don't, here is a further suggestion: If your filter came with extensions for the intake tube, add the extensions so you can get the intake lower. If your heater is submersible, turn it so it is horizontal instead of vertical. That way, you can lower your water level some more and take more of the pressure off. If it isn't submersible, you still may be able to angle it somewhat so that you can still lower the water a little more and keep the glass portion of the heater submerged.

thanks

Thank you everyone for your input. Work commitments prevent me from procuring a stand this evening, but I'll make sure I get this taken care of tomorrow.

This hobby takes no pity on a recovering cheapskate.

bosk1 said:
The picture wasn't up when I posted earlier, and I didn't know whether you had fish in the tank. Since you don't, here is a further suggestion: If your filter came with extensions for the intake tube, add the extensions so you can get the intake lower.

I do have 2 rosy barbs hiding behind the fake plants. In theory I'm going to have to drain a lot more water out of the tank before I can move it to the stand. This brings up a new issue:

How much more water can I take out without further stressing the barbs?

Furthermore, I don't have an extension for the filter intake.

I would put the barbs in a bucket with some tank water and completly empty the tank. Better safe than sorry.

That gives me nightmares just looking at it.

I would drain the tank, find a level floor far away from traffic and put it down there for now. At least it would be stable.

Unless you have a big dog or something. Then I might hesitate.

Looking at that table, I wouldn't trust it myself. Water weighs 8-10 pounds per gallon. With a 29 gal, that's at least 232 pounds and that's not inncuding the rocks.

The table is not wobbly, weak, or flimsy. My only concern at the moment is the strength of the tank itself because it is not supported on all four sides at the base.

Thanks again.

Good heavens that's a scary setup. Imagine if there was an earthquake 8O There have been a couple of pictures similar to this lately. Have the prices of tank stands gone up that much recently??? :roll:

Back
Top Bottom