Tank heating

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tsmith57

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey everyone
I own a 55 gallon tank. That is now home it about 9 tropical fish of a very diverse species. Everything is going great. However I have one concern about they tank. I have hand smaller tanks in the past form 5-20 gallon. This is my first large style tank. The tank temp is at 76 degrees (with a 200 watt heater)on the mark. Through out the entire tank. I have a digital thermometer and moved it all around in each corner for 3 minutes a time. However all the fish seem to prefer the right side of the tank. I split the tank in half and put the heater as close to dead center as I could by if favors then right side by about inch to inch and half. My though it do I need to get another smaller heater like a 100watt. Any ideas below would be great thank you.

I have a 150 watt in my 55g working at 78 degrees. It can either be the brand of heater, maybe it's dying. You can try putting it near your filter outlet so the heat is getting dispersed more.
Honestly though I'm not sure 76 is that bad of a temperature being only 2 degrees from perfect. Do you have more plants/hiding spots or more swimming space on the right? Maybe they like the flow or lack there of on that side more.

Would you recommend first moving the heater closer to the filter output and turning it up 2 degrees and buying more plants. Before I go and spend 30 bucks on a heater.

More plants may or may not be necessary. I have no idea what your tank looks like.
Yes I would try moving it around and turning it up first. I always try free options before buying new things.

200 watt is more than enough for a 55. Try to switch heater side and see if the fish now stay on opposite direction, if yes then it means one side is more warmer but if not then there maybe some other reason to why they prefer one particular side of tank.

Sometimes fish just like certain sides. I have a 50gal with a 300 watt heater and 25gal rated pump. I put both next to my HOB filter to circulate the heat and flow.

With a 55gal long it wouldnt be a bad idea to get a pump, it helps circulate the water of course but also the resistance in the water helps keeps your fish fit. I personally didnt want a TON of flow in my tank so I got a tiny wave maker. Every now and then I have my furcata rainbows swim right up to it for exercise, other times they avoid it.

The point is, if you know the temp isnt to hot for the fish and you have good heat circulation, dont worry to much about what your fish are doing. Fish can be strange at times, just try to replicate what they have in the wild. If they are found in flowing streams, put a wave maker in there, etc.

Sometimes fish just like certain sides. I have a 50gal with a 300 watt heater and 25gal rated pump. I put both next to my HOB filter to circulate the heat and flow.

With a 55gal long it wouldnt be a bad idea to get a pump, it helps circulate the water of course but also the resistance in the water helps keeps your fish fit. I personally didnt want a TON of flow in my tank so I got a tiny wave maker. Every now and then I have my furcata rainbows swim right up to it for exercise, other times they avoid it.

The point is, if you know the temp isnt to hot for the fish and you have good heat circulation, dont worry to much about what your fish are doing. Fish can be strange at times, just try to replicate what they have in the wild. If they are found in flowing streams, put a wave maker in there, etc.
Don't want to hijack this thread but I have a question about water movement. I have a 100 gallon African cichlid tank. It has a canister filter and an internal filter as well but basically not too much water movement inside and its the surface agitation mainly. Shall I buy a wave maker. Fish gonna love it and as yoh mentioned it will keep fish healthy. How so? Please elaborate a bit further. Thanks.

It helps keeps them healthy in a few ways, it helps move water over them which can help move good and bad bacteria on and off them.
But the biggest thing it helps them with is forcing them to keep moving which is exercise. Just like humans, if we sit all day we hurt our health, fish also dont need to "sit" all day either.

It helps keeps them healthy in a few ways, it helps move water over them which can help move good and bad bacteria on and off them.
But the biggest thing it helps them with is forcing them to keep moving which is exercise. Just like humans, if we sit all day we hurt our health, fish also dont need to "sit" all day either.
Thanks. Great points. I ll get a wave maker. I don't like too much water movement like air stones etc so I love the idea of a wave maker instead of an air pump with air stone. Thanks a lot.

Back
Top Bottom