tank help please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I know people that would squirm about buying a fish in Walmart, but yes it could be a possibility you introduced something into the tank from these fish.
My suggestion would be... give it some time, keep doing some partial water changes and keep an eye for anything else unusual in the fish behavior etc.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

gotcha keep an eye out and probably avoid walmart fish in the future though I do have a bright update they were more interested in pellets usually we feed flakes

To be honest, I don't think it makes much difference a fish from Walmart than a fish from another big pet chain store. Think about poor water conditions with many fish and many tanks joined by a central filtration unit sharing whatever disease they happen to carry when brought there.
I've gotten fish from chain stores myself and I would say for me the survival rate has been around 95% which is not too bad. I get whatever fish I want to get to start a new tank within a day or two or all at once, treat them if needed and never introduce anything else into that tank unless it spent some time in a separate tank. A lot of this stuff might sound intimidating but after a while it just becomes second nature, fishkeeping is not as complicated as it may sound.
Good luck and keep us posted.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

after getting all the help from you and this site we think it was more than likely the number of fish suddenly introduced 5 fish suddenly being introduced was maybe not such a good idea thew down side we lost 5 pictus and now 3 cichlids we are still concerned for the other cichlids because some have bleeding gills maybe ammonia poison? not really sure but we are doing continual tests and the NO2 and NO3 are gone and our PH is 7.5 so hope we can get everybody back to full health soon

haha void that last post i have one fish dead and who knows how many more infected
Symptoms
lack of appetite
lethargic nature
white hairy/fuzzy growth
then death
so what i am thinking is that i have a bigger problem that originally thought have i mentioned yet that i have no idea what i am doing? So if anyone has had this problem or has heard of it please i need help

Fuzzy white growth? Ouch that does not sound good. Have you been aggressively doing partial water changes?

yeah it looks gross i have been doing partial water changes for days now and it does not seem to be helping here are chem results
GH180
KH 240
PH not even reading the color right it looks high though
NO2 is 0
NO3 is 40 so it is high again
so i figure another water change and a chem treat? maybe they have some kind of fungus or disease?

yeah it looks gross i have been doing partial water changes for days now and it does not seem to be helping here are chem results GH180 KH 240 PH not even reading the color right it looks high though NO2 is 0 NO3 is 40 so it is high again so i figure another water change and a chem treat? maybe they have some kind of fungus or disease?
I have never used medication so don't know what a chem treat is. Personally I think treating a fish this far into a disease is just prolonging the inevitable, my decision would have been different but that's just my opinion. I'm sorry to sound so gloomy, maybe someone else can chime in on this?

no you are being realistic. I think if i had attacked it more aggressively from the very beginning it would have turned out differently. At this point there are not very many options. unless i isolate the sick ones and go from there i did call pet land and they said that it could be ammonia burn with so few fish left though i don't know. sorry now i sound gloomy. Thank you for all the help you have been though i really appreciate that you took time out of your day to answer a stranger's question

no you are being realistic. I think if i had attacked it more aggressively from the very beginning it would have turned out differently. At this point there are not very many options. unless i isolate the sick ones and go from there i did call pet land and they said that it could be ammonia burn with so few fish left though i don't know. sorry now i sound gloomy. Thank you for all the help you have been though i really appreciate that you took time out of your day to answer a stranger's question

I don't think it has anything to do with ammonia burn but more with a combination of different issues that caused the stress on the fish making them weak and more susceptible to disease.
Water condition plays a huge role in the health of a fish.
You have nothing to lose isolating the visibly sick ones if you have another tank, sorry I can't recommend meds since I don't use them.
Keep us posted, good luck!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom