Tank Journal - 135 FOWLR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would add the CUC after lights out to give your team a fighting chance.
Floyd, don't you have an empty tank that could hold the puffer until the tank was in a better state and the CUC had a chance to do it's thing. Just a thought....

I would add the CUC after lights out to give your team a fighting chance.
Floyd, don't you have an empty tank that could hold the puffer until the tank was in a better state and the CUC had a chance to do it's thing. Just a thought....
No, I don't. If I did, I probably would have done a full tear-down. How much of the CUC would he eat? Maybe I should get 40 of the dwarf cerith. Also, I could black out the tank after putting them in, do you think that would help?

The puffer will get to them in due time. Try getting more nassarius snails as these hide out in the sand and would be less likely to get eaten.

I bumped the order up to 40 Dwarf Cerith. He needs to file his teeth down anyways, looking pretty long and I don't like the idea of trimming them with a nail clippers.

No, I'm serious! That's what they say you have to do if you let them get too long! They can't open their mouth and they starve!!

And yes, I"m too funny! I mean really, can you imagine how difficult it would be to 1) catch an 8" puffer 2) hold it still 3) open it's mouth 4) get a nail clippers in there and 5) actually clip the teeth? Forget it!

The owner told me that his teeth fell out once, so maybe it's not that big of a deal. Is there a puffer dentist in the house?

No, I'm serious! That's what they say you have to do if you let them get too long! They can't open their mouth and they starve!!

And yes, I"m too funny! I mean really, can you imagine how difficult it would be to 1) catch an 8" puffer 2) hold it still 3) open it's mouth 4) get a nail clippers in there and 5) actually clip the teeth? Forget it!

HAHA gold Floyd!!! -
Did some reading and they make it sound "simple" - Just use some clove oil to put it to sleep! :rolleyes:

How to trim Puffer Fish teeth | eHow.com

Floyd, I'm a board certified "Puffer" Dentist, but I'm sorry to say that my office is booked for the next three years.
Thincat MDDP

Algae taking over

There is definitely a problem with this system. The algae is out of control. Here are some pics from today.

Right side of tank

img_1070152_0_d0941e7309852df366ab630d5ea57c9b.jpg

Close-up

img_1070152_1_041a78f0bee281c85306bf0a5fcecf1d.jpg

Rock on left

img_1070152_2_6f76506ab4a0977a3470a9b8f864089d.jpg

The green hair algae is easy to identify. However, I wonder if the red stuff is algae or cyanobacteria. If anyone can tell me which it looks like for sure, it would help me remedy the problem appropriately. I bought a 250ml jar of Brightwell Aquatics Phospat-R resin and will be putting half of it in there ASAP and monitor the phosphate levels to see if I can get them to 0 and for how long.

Pulled more water for testing, will report as soon as I can on that.

To me it looks like cyano. I don't think diatoms grow that quickly and as thick.

I had problems with algae in my tank (no where near as bad as this). I used these steps to get it back under control:

1. Blackout for 3 days, then halved the lighting time
  2. Phosphate/silicate remover
  3. RO/DI
  4. Beefed up my CUC
  5. Macro Algae
  6. PWC's until nitrates were low
Looks like you are taking these steps though...

ThinCat, Melosu, Austinsdad, ccCapt - any ideas?

I have an algae problem in my tank and am just wondering what effect the 3 day blackout would have on my corals? i have a bubble tip anemone, hammer coral, lots of different polyps, plate coral...and a few others would they survive this or is it too risky

I did a 3 day black out for my tank. Your corals can handle it but if you have SPS in your tank(I don't) you might have a problem. I too have a cyano problem that I can't seem to get rid of no matter what I do. I only feed every other day now, do PWC every week, and I cut back my lights two hrs. I did a water test and everything was perfect except for nitrates. I still haven't gotten my tunze skimmer to work right:mad:. But once I turned the lights back on it came back just not as much.

I agree with Ray, you need to find the root of your problem. Did you add new sand to your tank? Does not look like you have many fish so you can cut the food down to an absolute min. Cut the lights by a few hours a day and see if that helps. More CUC will help with any left over food.

The CUC will be here next week Wed/Thurs. I just added the phosphate reducer, tested before on the high end of Salifert so 2-3 ppm (hard to tell). We'll see what it does in a day.

I'm going to order some powdered carbon and run that on my diatom filter, as suggested by someone on either this site or another.

He runs the lights from 11am to 8pm. I told him to cut it down to 2pm-8pm. It probably gets enough indirect ambient sunlight to where he could just leave them off until 5pm and run until 10-11 pm, or even just run them during busy hours (11:30-1:30 and 4:30-7) just for display purposes.

I talked to him about the 'mush' feeding method, blending up a variety of seafood and freezing it in ziplocks and portioning it out better, so he's going to try that. They suggest feeding a puffer several times a day though, so we'll have to figure something out

Back
Top Bottom