Tank lighting question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jmenehan2

Aquarium Advice Regular
image-4231057701.jpg

I saw this picture and I was concerned because my tank is a 29 gallon. The tank is 18 inches tall with a light fixture that has 4 T5HO's. According to this chart my fixture hung 12 inches above my tank would still be too much light. I really don't want to fry my future plants! Any help from any of you veteran planted tank lovers would be very much appreciated!

It can, I was just wondering if this correct because I want to be in the3 watt per gallon range without frying my plants. I would rather not have an unpleasant algae outbreak either.

Assuming the tank depth is 16-20" with 2 bulbs it appears you can have the bulbs at 4" and be in the high range. If that is not enough you can always add more bulbs.
As an alternative, I have read where some folks will grow floating plants to cut down on the amount of light getting into the tank. Depending on the species it may grow like a weed but can be easily roved as needed. They can make a nice treat for goldfish.

Back
Top Bottom