Tank mates for 20g with paradise fish and neons

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

paradise679

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi team,

I have a 20 gallon cube with one male paradise fish, eight neon tetras and one rather large apple snail. I'm after suggestions for a "center piece" to add to the tank. I'd love something like a puffer, but I've read they generally don't do well with community tanks. I've given a ram a go but wasn't my thing...

The paradise fish is quite peaceful with the neons, when I first got them he'd chase them around out of curiosity but now he's fine with them. He can definitely get a bit excited and lash out at his reflection in the tank occasionally. I'd love a fish with a similar great personality to him!

Not suuuper concerned about a fish getting nippy with the neons (they have NTD) and the snail (in my bad books at the moment) and I reckon my paradise fish can protect himself to an extent, although I definitely want to keep him happy.

Cheers for your suggestions!

I'm not a fan of the concept of centerpiece fish. Fish, with few exceptions, like to be in schools, shoals, or loose groups. Few fish do well as loners. Paradise fish and bettas are exceptions. But putting one fish in a tank from a species that lives in groups is unkind.

Uh sounds like your paradise fish is the centerpiece fish. Why not just put a couple of more neons in there.

You really have to be careful about what you put with Paradise Fish. I personally don't put any fish with mine. When I was new to the hobby I put a paradise fish in a 29g with 10 silver hatchets. I acclimated all of the fish and then went to make dinner. When I came back most of the silver hatchets didn't have eyes anymore.

Paradise fish are still one of the most interesting fish I have kept. They seem very intelligent for their size.

Back
Top Bottom