Tank Mates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

puffer-lover96

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I need help. I have a figure 8 puffer and I don't know what kind of brakish fish it is compatable with. Can someone help? :thanks:

puffer-lover96 said:
I need help. I have a figure 8 puffer and I don't know what kind of brakish fish it is compatable with. Can someone help? :thanks:

I believe figure 8's do best in a species only tank. They are very aggressive.

Better to leave it as a single F8 in a tank.

If you really desire tankmates, then you could always add more F8 as long as there are 15g per F8.

You could also add bumblebee gobies or a knight goby or some mollies.

F8 are more likely to nip at the mollies.
F8 might eat bumblebee gobies, but many hobbyist have kept bumblebees and F8 together.
Don't mix knight goby and bumblebee gobies together. The knight goby will eat the bumblebees.

I like the idea of keeping F8 with a knight goby. Both grow close to the same size and diet is slightly similar.

What is the size of your tank and is it fully cycled?

I have a 10 gallon tank right now,waiting for my 20 gallon from my aunt.And yes my tank is fully cycled, ihave had my figure 8 puffer for a couple weeks now.

Better to leave it as a single F8 in a tank.

If you really desire tankmates, then you could always add more F8 as long as there are 15g per F8.

You could also add bumblebee gobies or a knight goby or some mollies.

F8 are more likely to nip at the mollies.
F8 might eat bumblebee gobies, but many hobbyist have kept bumblebees and F8 together.
Don't mix knight goby and bumblebee gobies together. The knight goby will eat the bumblebees.

I like the idea of keeping F8 with a knight goby. Both grow close to the same size and diet is slightly similar.

What is the size of your tank and is it fully cycled?

i hate mollies no matter what i do they attack my fish. i had a female balloon molly attack my f8.

can BBGs, f8s, and knight gobies live together?

I have a 10 gallon tank right now,waiting for my 20 gallon from my aunt.And yes my tank is fully cycled, ihave had my figure 8 puffer for a couple weeks now.

Just double-checking: did you cycle the tank with ammonia for 4-6 weeks before adding the puffer or are both the tank and puffer 2 weeks old (or did you add a lot of seeded media)? If you didn't cycle the tank with ammonia before adding the fish or you don't have seeded media in the tank (and even then it's not a guarantee it would fullly cycle it) then you're tank is in the process of cycling, it's not cycled yet (letting a tank "run" doesn't cycle it properly). There's a link below in my signature: Guide to starting a FW aquarium. The first thing it covers is cycling. I'd give it a read and then get a test kit and test your water ASAP and do a water change. Good luck.

i hate mollies no matter what i do they attack my fish. i had a female balloon molly attack my f8.

can BBGs, f8s, and knight gobies live together?

BBG + F8 = yes
KG + F8 = yes
BBG + KG = no

Inadequate tank space usually leads to problems over the years of keeping these fish together.

i want to get more BBGs anyway. i only have 1 right now. i want to see how they interact with each other and fight over territories.

I have an F8 puffer in a 10g and i've had many baby mollies grow up with him. It depends on the temperament of the puffer.

JessieBee said:
I have an F8 puffer in a 10g and i've had many baby mollies grow up with him. It depends on the temperament of the puffer.

Yea i think most people have luck with f8s especially if the raise them with the other tank mates

^ditto. F8s should be in a minimum of 15 and even more with the mollies.

Back
Top Bottom