Tank near TV?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lakersfreak

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm planning on putting together a 65 gal. tank. Is it a smart idea to put this thing 5 feet from my TV center (receiver, PS3, XBOX 360, DVD player, LCD tv)? I live in Los Angeles and I'm worried with a strong earthquake the pressure on the water may damage the glass, start leaking, and damage my tv center! What do you all think?

Insurance with earthquake coverage would fix that lol. You said its 5 feet away. For instance on a different wall in the room 5 ft away? or both on the same wall? I could only see any water damage coming from what would be closest to the ground, for instance if your xbox was directly on the ground. if one side of the tank busted, I couldn't see it reaching 5 feet away.

I wouldn't worry about it. I have 2 tanks on either side of our entertainment center. One less than a foot away and the other maybe 3 feet away. If an earthquake occurs I wouldn't think the water would spray more than 5 feet. And like Justin mentioned,, that's what earthquake coverage is for. :) And it may end up being covered as accidential water discharge.

Just to put it in perspective... no matter where you put the tank, if it decides to break it really doesn't matter where it's located in your place. 65g of saltwater is going to do a bunch of damage - enough that any damage to your entertainment center will lookk like just a drop in the bucket. Put it where you want... just not in a window!

Maybe an acrylic tanks would be safer...no shattering lol
The only thing to keep in mind is that the bright light from your tank may interfere with watching TV, but other than that I think it can be cool to have both on the same wall unit

Back
Top Bottom