Paisley's new 245 litre tank scape and set up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Paisley

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone.I've just started a new plan to set up my lovely new 245l tank and I get so much enjoyment and knowledge from looking at all the other set ups and plans that I thought I would post my build stage by stage. I have two current running tanks, a 40 litre that was medium planted housing 2 rummy nose, 5 neons, 2 white widows, (they are the most efficient platy fry vacuum fish I have ever encountered, I would have a tank full of platy if I didn't have them), 4 cory, 2 albino, two bronze, 3 platy, the orange/yellow ones, 3 glow lights 2 zebra danio and a golden danio. Before someone tells me I'm overstocked, I do know but they were split between two tanks a short time ago and the new tank will be ready in another two or three weeks. The 20 litre tank currently houses about 8 platy fry. Bothe tanks have DIY co2 and are fertilised twice a week with flourish and each day with flourish excel.
I bought a secondhand tank awhile ago and got some sand and some cool rocks and started scaping. I have some sand, the white aquarium type and some eco complete so the idea is to have a terrace section at the back with the plants and the eco complete and a lovely open area with sand for my copies to play in. I'm hoping they might leave the plants alone and stop uprooting them.
So I'm arranging and rearranging rocks, looking at hundreds of pictures, reading everything I can possibly find on plant care and scaping and i have ordered a stack of really cool plants when i read something I wish I had read right at the start. A handy hint to make sure there is substrate under the rocks whilst arranging them. So I have a mini panic attack, take out the rocks then move the sand and sure enough, I've put a hairline crack in the base glass. Well heck. So I put a couple of inches of water in and leave it overnight and do some more reading about aquarium repairs. The next day the tank doesn't appear to be leaking and on checking again, I find the crack doesn't go all the way through. What to do, what to do. Repair the tank and take my chances or a new tank. I choose a new tank. I have a lovely outdoor terrarium now. So off I go to the fish shop and buy a new 4 foot tank. Into the station wagon, onto the wheelbarrow nod down the driveway into the house and on the stand. And the standard 4 foot tank is only 4 by 12 by 18. The original tank was 4 by 18 by 18. Well that's not going to work, nowhere near enough space from front to back. So back in the wheel barrow, up the driveway and back into the car then back to the fish shop. All in very hot weather. I'm a teensy bit cross now and then I find out that the fish shop doesn't stock the size I want and I will have to order it made. Sigh. I do some calling around and find the right size tank but it has a 6 ml base not the 10 ml base I want. As the new tank is right next to my tv and stereo equipment I really want a strong tank. So back to the fish shop and I put in my order.
Then the plants start to arrive. I have a 2 week wait for the tank then cycling has to be taken into account so into the two current tanks go the plants. And the next shipment of plants, and the next until I have 245 litres worth of plants stuffed into 60 litres worth of space. Then I realise that the standard light that came with the 40l isn't going to keep half of the plants alive and happy, the new set up is a high light from a low light, so back to the fish shop for some better lights. The small tank has compact fluoros so it was fine, thank goodness. So now I have a jungle of mixed plants bursting at the seams. The good and bad thing is that between the new lights, the co2 and the ferts, all the plants are doing splendidly. Great that they are growing but they are already stuffed in there on top of each other and no space to prune and replant cuttings. Sigh. So everything is ready for the new tank, I just need to get it and get everything in. Patience is a real virtue in this hobby. I've included some pics of the dry scape and what my rather heavily planted tanks look like at the moment. As things progress, I will post more updated pics. That is when I figure out how to post the pics.........
Happy fishing.

Hi everyone.I've just started a new plan to set up my lovely new 245l tank and I get so much enjoyment and knowledge from looking at all the other set ups and plans that I thought I would post my build stage by stage. I have two current running tanks, a 40 litre that was medium planted housing 2 rummy nose, 5 neons, 2 white widows, (they are the most efficient platy fry vacuum fish I have ever encountered, I would have a tank full of platy if I didn't have them), 4 cory, 2 albino, two bronze, 3 platy, the orange/yellow ones, 3 glow lights 2 zebra danio and a golden danio. Before someone tells me I'm overstocked, I do know but they were split between two tanks a short time ago and the new tank will be ready in another two or three weeks. The 20 litre tank currently houses about 8 platy fry. Bothe tanks have DIY co2 and are fertilised twice a week with flourish and each day with flourish excel.
I bought a secondhand tank awhile ago and got some sand and some cool rocks and started scaping. I have some sand, the white aquarium type and some eco complete so the idea is to have a terrace section at the back with the plants and the eco complete and a lovely open area with sand for my copies to play in. I'm hoping they might leave the plants alone and stop uprooting them.
So I'm arranging and rearranging rocks, looking at hundreds of pictures, reading everything I can possibly find on plant care and scaping and i have ordered a stack of really cool plants when i read something I wish I had read right at the start. A handy hint to make sure there is substrate under the rocks whilst arranging them. So I have a mini panic attack, take out the rocks then move the sand and sure enough, I've put a hairline crack in the base glass. Well heck. So I put a couple of inches of water in and leave it overnight and do some more reading about aquarium repairs. The next day the tank doesn't appear to be leaking and on checking again, I find the crack doesn't go all the way through. What to do, what to do. Repair the tank and take my chances or a new tank. I choose a new tank. I have a lovely outdoor terrarium now. So off I go to the fish shop and buy a new 4 foot tank. Into the station wagon, onto the wheelbarrow nod down the driveway into the house and on the stand. And the standard 4 foot tank is only 4 by 12 by 18. The original tank was 4 by 18 by 18. Well that's not going to work, nowhere near enough space from front to back. So back in the wheel barrow, up the driveway and back into the car then back to the fish shop. All in very hot weather. I'm a teensy bit cross now and then I find out that the fish shop doesn't stock the size I want and I will have to order it made. Sigh. I do some calling around and find the right size tank but it has a 6 ml base not the 10 ml base I want. As the new tank is right next to my tv and stereo equipment I really want a strong tank. So back to the fish shop and I put in my order.
Then the plants start to arrive. I have a 2 week wait for the tank then cycling has to be taken into account so into the two current tanks go the plants. And the next shipment of plants, and the next until I have 245 litres worth of plants stuffed into 60 litres worth of space. Then I realise that the standard light that came with the 40l isn't going to keep half of the plants alive and happy, the new set up is a high light from a low light, so back to the fish shop for some better lights. The small tank has compact fluoros so it was fine, thank goodness. So now I have a jungle of mixed plants bursting at the seams. The good and bad thing is that between the new lights, the co2 and the ferts, all the plants are doing splendidly. Great that they are growing but they are already stuffed in there on top of each other and no space to prune and replant cuttings. Sigh. So everything is ready for the new tank, I just need to get it and get everything in. Patience is a real virtue in this hobby. I've included some pics of the dry scape and what my rather heavily planted tanks look like at the moment. As things progress, I will post more updated pics. That is when I figure out how to post the pics.........
Happy fishing.

Your pics do not show...will be following..

I can't post pics from my ipad. Have to do them from my computer when I have a minute. I'll get there.The plants have been in for two weeks now and I have had to trim and replant twice!! They keep hitting the top of the tank seemingly overnight. The HM is spreading into the substrate and I keep having to pull it out and everything that can branch is going berserk. At least I know they will grow when I get the new tank set up! And by the time the new tank arrives ill have more than enough to populate twice the area. Somehow, probably beginners luck, I've managed to hit the sweet spot between ferts, light and co2. Even the plants that are supposed to be difficult to grow are like weeds. There are 20 different plant types in the 40 litre and the only issue so far seems to be that the pink baby tears and the narrow ludwigia are turning green at the new growth. Not something I'm losing sleep over. The livestock are healthy and happy although bigmouth and fat guts, the two widows tend to lurk in the foliage and don't patrol their territories like they used to.
Big mouth has a new trick. It's a crack up but I'm sure it will be the end of him one of these days. When I feed them I put the flakes on top and drop a couple of sinking wafers for the bottom feeders. The wafers are about half a centimetre long and maybe 3 ml wide. He swoops in and catches one then spends the next half hour with it sticking out of his mouth until it breaks down. He looks like a dog with a bone. The platy babies in the 20l are all doing well and starting to show some colour. I've got a tiny bit of green hair algae in the 20l but routing maintenance keeps it under control. It's so much harder to balance the small tank. I'm so looking forward to the big tank. It should be ready this week.
Happy fishing.

hopefully here are the pictures......

Attachments

• 20l fish.jpg
    20l fish.jpg
    267.5 KB · Views: 92
  • 40l2 fish.jpg
    40l2 fish.jpg
    268.3 KB · Views: 95
  • 40l fish.jpg
    40l fish.jpg
    267.3 KB · Views: 120
  • scape dry.jpg
    scape dry.jpg
    254 KB · Views: 130
that was the first week they were in and the old tank with the rock scape. i will post some more soon.

this week

Attachments

• aaa mid.jpg
    aaa mid.jpg
    265.4 KB · Views: 112
  • aaaleft.jpg
    aaaleft.jpg
    267.5 KB · Views: 103
  • aaleft.jpg
    aaleft.jpg
    268.8 KB · Views: 89
So I went out looking at co2 tanks today and they are surprisingly affordable. 200 for the tank, to own not rent, and 25 for the refills. Best of all the place is just down the road. It's a brewery supply place. They have regulators and hoses also. Still waiting for the new tank. Should be this week hopefully. Then I'm going to get the proper co2 so I can set and forget. I'll leave the DIY on the small tanks. Too much extra effort to do it on the big tank. The co2 tank is 6.8. Should last awhile.
The plants are totally feral now. I tried someone's suggestion of resting the lights for a period during the day to eliminate the algae and it worked. Thanks to whoever it was. A lot of the plants are pearling away happily. It's really pretty.
Happy fishing.

The new tank will be ready in another 2 days. Soooooooo excited. Going out to get the co2 gear on Saturday. Yippee!!!!!!

I picked up my new tank today. Bought it home. Two of us were lifting it onto the stand, one hand each under the tank and the other using the two outside braces to guide it. It is in a corner and cant be approached front on with a person at each end, has to be from the front. We weren't using the braces to lift it, the weight was mostly supported under the tank. Then the right hand brace lifted off the top, the silicone wasn't set. That unbalanced both of us, then the left brace lifted off and the tank hit the speaker on the right and smashed the right side then lurched to the left and smashed the left side then as we tried to stop it falling further it smashed the front on the stand. Result? My lovely new tank is now sitting outside in pieces. I'm really cross as the lfs assured me it was ready to take home and be filled. On the bright side though, if the silicone on the braces wasn't set then chances are the rest of the tank wasn't set either and may well have given way after being filled. So I guess I can be grateful that I didn't fill it and end up with a LOT of water in my lounge. Tomorrow I am going to another lfs with a better reputation and buying a 4 foot by 18 by 24 that they have in stock with a 2 year warranty. Hopefully I can get my money back on the smashed one. Sigh.

Back
Top Bottom