Tank, no filter, water changes every 3 months?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes. It's basically a giant Walstad Method aquarium she wants. It's really not out of the realm of reality. I made one (albeit 1/75th the size :D) and it does work very well. It's also the same principles that give Rivercats her awesome growth in her 220g. Although Rivercats obviously takes much better care than this woman would :)

Hmmm I would have never thought. I just heard about the Walstad method, she's amazing. No ferts? No frequent water changes? No co2? Sounds crazy but she does it.

Hmmm I would have never thought. I just heard about the Walstad method, she's amazing. No ferts? No frequent water changes? No co2? Sounds crazy but she does it.

It is a pretty interesting method to say the least. Also hard to get going in a larger tank, which is why I am still to this day wildly impressed with Rivercats tank. I attempted it in a 10g with dirt and a sand cap, my Corydoras removed the cap and made it a blackwater tank! The principle is that the plants and dirt bacteria will take care of most of the waste. This eliminates the major need for ferts and the water stays healthy from all the plants. Now Rivercats uses filters and liquid carbon, but its still based around the same dirt with a cap method.

Check out theplantedtank forum. It can and does work BUT you must do your research as I believe its low lighting and proper plant selection and growing plants above water last but not least proper stocking of fish. It's a down the road thing I may try.

If I were in your shoes and if she lives close by.... You basically get to experiment with someone else's money :D so if you decided to try it you would know what was needed and what was fluff.

Oh and at the start WC are normal and after it stabilized (3-8 months ) water changes I've read being up to 6 months apart. But that requires a TDS meter and testing weekly I've read of them going as far as having the ammonia nitrite nitrate monitors that are always on $$$$$$$

This is amazing. Maybe I should help her then!! Water changes? lol we don't need no stinken water changes.

This is amazing. Maybe I should help her then!! Water changes? lol we don't need no stinken water changes.

Haha if you do the Walstad Method, initial water changes are needed. That and fast growing plants to absorb the inevitable excess nutrients. Just read up on it, it is pretty fascinating :)

Hey Convict .... I just went back and re-read your initial post ... BTW your right, your wife owes you ...I was getting a headache after reading about what she wants.

You said she does NOT want plants so NOT much of a chance of this thing working without plants or more regular PWC's for filtration. Dirt and DW's not going to be enough ... something has to consume / remove the nitrates. UNLESS of course ... you put on that charm:brows: and talk her into plants:D. At least she's asking for Neons .. Imagine if she wanted Oscars?

Hey Convict .... I just went back and re-read your initial post ... BTW your right, your wife owes you ...I was getting a headache after reading about what she wants.

You said she does NOT want plants so NOT much of a chance of this thing working without plants or more regular PWC's for filtration. Dirt and DW's not going to be enough ... something has to consume / remove the nitrates. UNLESS of course ... you put on that charm:brows: and talk her into plants:D. At least she's asking for Neons .. Imagine if she wanted Oscars?

Yeah...originally he says she wants no plants...a couple posts later he says heavily planted...haha only going to work with plants!

Yeah...originally he says she wants no plants...a couple posts later he says heavily planted...haha only going to work with plants!

Ugh .. Didn't get that far in the re-reads. I think we're all going to have headaches after this thread's done.

Ok .. I got to the heavily planted post ... Alright Convict ... officially this could work and you may even get some $$$ on the side. Now, I'm going to get some Advil.

With the extra 200 dollars your wife can get new summer thunderstorm boots, a new fx-5 and a few new bubblers to drive you crazy with. Somehow convict reminds me of George Jetson handing money over to his gold digging wife haha.... Convict your screwed dude.

One thing I told my wife is dont volunteer me for anything. I get sold out to do computer repairs to her family members cuz I used to work for best buy and staples before i got into the railroad business.

I mean its a nice idea this tank but I would think some water flow would be required. You could always look into somehow scaping a waterfall into this tank which is fed through tubing through a hole in the bottom which goes into a seperate tank which is filtered then through the power of suction fed into the waterfall giving some natural water flow. And don't ask me to draw a picture because it ain't gonna happen! My drawing would look like a 9 month old making spaghetti art in a high chair

I have Diana Walstad's book. Its not light reading and is full of chemistry. I tried it on a 10 gallon but I decided to use a filter until the plants got started. I hate it. The water always looks dirty and never looks as nice as the pictures of Walstad's own actual tanks. SHe even does this stuff in big bowls. Anyway her book is available on Amazon.

So who wants this tank? Your wife or her rich student?
:confused:

Her rich client! I can't believe the money this women has!! I just don't know I'd I wanna get involved. She seems like one of those people that would call and bother me all the time lol.

I really wish my wife said "yeah he has a fish tank and feeds them Burger King, he said he said its good for them, you sure you want him to do your tank?"

Make your wife go with you to the house to do the maintenance work, she probably won't want to then you won't have to worry about it.

Plan two open a new business on the side and do this for all the rich firends.

Plan three, find some one, a company/person who already has this type of business. Maybe there is someone who is completely familiar to this Singapore style /Walstead Method fish tank deal. No extra money for you but no head ache either!!! And a small business person wins!!!

My 37G JEBO tank has a built in filter in the back and when I move it in a week or so I will be be doing a modified, half Bradbury, regular planted designed bottom, with the plants growing out of the top tray, which is located in the back, behind the light on top. Arrowhead, Spiderplant, and several dwarf Anthurium houseplants. Moderately lightly stocked till I see how it works out.

May I just say your life is so interesting.....:popcorn: What will the next adventure hold...!

My luck I'll help this lady and her whole Eco system will crash and I'll get sued and lose everything and start all over again with a little goldfish!!

Last edited by a moderator:
My luck I'll help this lady and her whole Eco system will crash and I'll get sued and lose everything and start all over again with a little goldfish!!

What's going on here? I thought Aquariums were supposed to be relaxing?

As for the bigger tank vs wife ... sometimes it's better to ask forgiveness than permission:D. .......... :hide:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom