Tank overgrown algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mike_gentile36

Aquarium Advice Newbie
need advice on what to do with this algae problem had a thriving tank before but someone in the house dumped half a container of food in it and killed 6 fish and everything else in the tank.Bought some cleaning crews and then Had 2 clowns and a yellow tang in there for about a month. but recently the tang and one clown died as well as a excessive amount of algae appeared. This is a 50 gallon tank with all RA water from my local store. live sand and rock, as well as one clown in it currently and some various snails and hermits. want to lead this tank in the direction of a reef tank but atm i need to know how to get rid of all this algae before i can even think of that. if you need anymore information i can provide it ASAP.

This will take time. You will need to do large water changes with ro/di water to bring down the nutrient levels that are feeding the algae.
Example is that if your nitrates are at 100, a 50% water change will bring them down to 50.
The goal is to bring that number to 0. Tie this together with manual removal of the algae during these water changes you will have a solution.
This all requires time. Don't get frustrated. Be patient. This is key. I am working towards the same battle myself due to life leading me towards neglect. Went from algae growth several inches long to minimal growth with the very same plan I laid out. Just make sure that you are feeding sparingly as well. The goal is all nutrients out.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Everytime you do a PWC siphon out as much of the algae that you can. Feed very sparingly. The key will be how much manually you can remove.

Back
Top Bottom