Tank 'overhang'

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tuck

Aquarium Advice Freak
Quick question, I've got another thread about stocking etc. So I've got a new tank for My mum for Christmas. It's 31x12x16. But the area the tank will be going is 28" long. Would it be ok to have 1.5" overhand either end of the tank or would it end in disaster? Thanks.

I personally wouldnt do it just cause i always think of the worst but if you think structually your tank will be fine then do it

Personally I wouldn't do it. It would be putting a lot of stress on the base of the tank that it wasn't designed to take. I'd probably just get a piece of wood cut to the size of the base of the tank and put that under it just for the extra support.

Glass tanks need to be supported at the corners. You can actually support corners and have nothing in the middle with them but very risky to have no support at the ends(or corners)

The support needs to be all over i had a 300ltr tank crack because the wood it was sitting on bowed in the middle and made my day fun :/

Acrylic tanks require support all over. Glass requires corner support. Piece of mind comes with having glass supported along every edge though. This becomes more important as the tank size is increased.

If I get a sheet of ply 1/2" thick 31x12 would that be ok then?

Managed to get the official stand w/cupboard WTD on sale for £50.

Well you are looking at almost 300 lbs of weight once it is filled. The weight which chances are, is heavy enough to pull down and bow as soon as it is filled. That means lots of stress on the silicone seal not to mention the tension on the glass. You would be looking at it being a matter of time before something fails. I wouldn't do it. I just replaced my 37g because the center support broke. It wasn't even half way filled and it was bowing badly.

Well you are looking at almost 300 lbs of weight once it is filled. The weight which chances are, is heavy enough to pull down and bow as soon as it is filled. That means lots of stress on the silicone seal not to mention the tension on the glass. You would be looking at it being a matter of time before something fails. I wouldn't do it. I just replaced my 37g because the center support broke. It wasn't even half way filled and it was bowing badly.

But it's the official stand so I'm sure it will be fine :/ image-1440650302.jpg

Edit: the aristones are to get free delivery saves me £10 :p

I'd suggest you use some styrofoam underneath the entire tank (or at least the edges) to ensure that if the tank settles, the base it's on has some give so no cracking. Many times glass tanks will shift somewhat when moved from place to place. The silicone absorbs most of the shift but without styro, the base has no where to go but crack.

Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom