Tank Question/ What Would YOU Do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Austin.b

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi, I have a dilemma. I have the option of starting a 29G saltwater tank or waiting and starting a 40G saltwater tank. In the end, both will be reefs. This will be my first saltwater tank.

29G- if I do end up with the 29G, I would not have a sump/refugium for it. I would probably just use a filter rated for 90-110 gallons. In personal preference, I would not want too many fish. Most of my stock will be inverts. I was thinking about maybe 3-5 fish max. If chosen,i would be able to get started in a month or two. Also, I don't think the 29 would be as expensive as a 40. But, If do go with the 29, it's less room to work with.

40G- for a 40G, I would use my current 40 that's freshwater right now. I would have to wait a while if I do use the 40G. I'm thinking upwards of 5 to 6 months. Another factor that's keeping me away from a 40 is the need for a sump/refugium. For some reason, the sump and such scares me. It just freaks me out lol. Also, it's just more money for a 40(LR, live sand, power heads, more powerful skimmer and such) I fully understand that a saltwater tank will be alot of money regardless of the tank size. With a 40, I could house more fish that simply can't be in a 29. I think I would have about 6-8 fish in there, still mainly focused on inverts though.

I've been debating this for over a month now and would just like some feedback and comments to see what other people's thoughts are. Which tank should I go with? More room in a 40, but much more expensive. Less room in a 29, but no sump/refugium and less expensive. Thank you for your help!!!!!

I understand both sides, and i also had that option, or one similar, but i picked 30 mainly because of the price. If its a first saltwater tank i think it would be best to start simple, without the sump and fancy stuff, and then upgrade once you have it all down! This is just my opinion though, so others please add! Haha

Nu-Nu the eel said:
I understand both sides, and i also had that option, or one similar, but i picked 30 mainly because of the price. If its a first saltwater tank i think it would be best to start simple, without the sump and fancy stuff, and then upgrade once you have it all down! This is just my opinion though, so others please add! Haha

Oh wow! I didn't even think of this(face palm) that's a very good point! I can't wait to hear others opinions! Lol I've also heard that a bigger tank is easier just because there's more water. Is this true? Or is this only for freshwater? Another question, how many power heads do you think I would need in a 29 and a 40? Maybe 2 in the 29 and 3 or 4 in a 40? Thank you for posting!

Austin.b said:
Oh wow! I didn't even think of this(face palm) that's a very good point! I can't wait to hear others opinions! Lol I've also heard that a bigger tank is easier just because there's more water. Is this true? Or is this only for freshwater? Another question, how many power heads do you think I would need in a 29 and a 40? Maybe 2 in the 29 and 3 or 4 in a 40? Thank you for posting!

Ya i have heard that bigger the tank the better because nitrates and ammonia dont build up as quickly and water changes dont need to be as frequent to keep the water quality good. And nope i think 2 powerheads in a 40 would be ok! You should just get stringer ones for a 40 then you would for a 30

Nu-Nu the eel said:
Ya i have heard that bigger the tank the better because nitrates and ammonia dont build up as quickly and water changes dont need to be as frequent to keep the water quality good. And nope i think 2 powerheads in a 40 would be ok! You should just get stringer ones for a 40 then you would for a 30

I'm sorry, I'm still extremely new to saltwater. What do you mean by stringer ones?

Austin.b said:

Bigger the tank=easier to maintain stable water conditions. Sw or fw. Powerheads, 2 for each, just different amounts of flow. For ex: i have a 29 sw with 2 korolia 750's in it. For a 4", i would recommend 2 korolia 1050's or one 1050 and one 750. 2 powerheads either way.

Another way to look at it is water changes. If your making your owb water which is more cost effective, youll have to be using a large trashcan to mix the water in for a 40. For a 30 you could use a 5gallon bucket no problem.

As for the whole more fish thing, you could only get 1, maybe 2 more nano fish. Not a huge deal IMO.

Only definite pros are

1: larger footprint equals more space for corals and rockscape.

2: you are less likely to have to upgrade tank sizes down the road.

Hope this helped

Nu-Nu the eel said:
Ahhhh not your faut! I meant stronger! Haha im sorry

Ohhh hahaha it's okay. I thought that that was a name or something. Lol it's late and I have school tomm, so I'm a little slow right now hahaha

Gboy66 said:
Bigger the tank=easier to maintain stable water conditions. Sw or fw. Powerheads, 2 for each, just different amounts of flow. For ex: i have a 29 sw with 2 korolia 750's in it. For a 4", i would recommend 2 korolia 1050's or one 1050 and one 750. 2 powerheads either way.

Another way to look at it is water changes. If your making your owb water which is more cost effective, youll have to be using a large trashcan to mix the water in for a 40. For a 30 you could use a 5gallon bucket no problem.

As for the whole more fish thing, you could only get 1, maybe 2 more nano fish. Not a huge deal IMO.

Only definite pros are

Hope this helped

I will not be mixing my own water,I will be buying it from my LFS. For the power heads, I will do that in either the 40 or 29. Thanks! If I'm mixing my own saltwater in a 5G bucket, I would need another powerhead and a heater, right? Thank you for your help!!

Ah man same here.... :( so overall reef tanks are pretty awesome and you cant go wrong no matter what size you get! Lol. If the 30 and the 40 were the same price i would go bigger odviously, because you do not have to add a sump and fuge all at once, or even at all if you dont want to! Just an idea.. ;)

Gboy66 said:

Only definite pros are

Hope this helped

Also, the pros don't seem to be vey much worth it. The only pro that is left is the upgrade later on.

Austin.b said:
Also, the pros don't seem to be vey much worth it. The only pro that is left is the upgrade later on.

Agreed. Oh and if you buy your water, that still means youll have to buy more, even though its only like 2 gal more.

Gboy66 said:
Agreed. Oh and if you buy your water, that still means youll have to buy more, even though its only like 2 gal more.

Yeah that's true. I have my 40G upstairs in my room an having a big bin for saltwater mixing is absolutely out of the question. Also, an RO/DI unit is pretty much not possible for now. I know you and Nu-Nu are related and share the 29. Are you happy with your tank? Do you wish you could have had a bigger tank from the get go? Thanks!

Austin.b said:
Yeah that's true. I have my 40G upstairs in my room an having a big bin for saltwater mixing is absolutely out of the question. Also, an RO/DI unit is pretty much not possible for now. I know you and Nu-Nu are related and share the 29. Are you happy with your tank? Do you wish you could have had a bigger tank from the get go? Thanks!

I am totally happy with the tank. We have a 40 fw (go figure) and a 30 gallon sw tank is tge perfect number. Not so small that we have to put alot of time into it and cant manage both tanks, but not so large where it is very expensive.

Oh. And..uhm..mom wouldnt let us go bigger....lol!!

Haha we do share the tank an it works out well! Half of the work, and twice as much ideas and thought going into the project :D
We have thought that we wish we had gotten a larger tank from the begining, but it was never really an option because everything costs more when you have a bigger tank. More rock, better filter, stronger heater, stronger powerheads etc etc etc. haha in the long run you do save money by going smaller, even if its only by 10 or so gallons IMO.

Gboy66 said:
I am totally happy with the tank. We have a 40 fw (go figure) and a 30 gallon sw tank is tge perfect number. Not so small that we have to put alot of time into it and cant manage both tanks, but not so large where it is very expensive.

Oh. And..uhm..mom wouldnt let us go bigger....lol!!

Thats so true. Also, not too much maintenance=more time enjoying tank. Haha do you think you could post a pic o your tank? I'm lookin for inspiration lol

Nu-Nu the eel said:
Haha we do share the tank an it works out well! Half of the work, and twice as much ideas and thought going into the project :D
We have thought that we wish we had gotten a larger tank from the begining, but it was never really an option because everything costs more when you have a bigger tank. More rock, better filter, stronger heater, stronger powerheads etc etc etc. haha in the long run you do save money by going smaller, even if its only by 10 or so gallons IMO.

I agree completely. It always seems that the smallest upgrade can result in EVERYTHING being more expensive haha

Also, do you really think a sump is needed for a 29G? Would I be ok with an Aquaclear 110 or a Marineland Emperor 400?(rated for up to 90G)

Austin.b said:
Also, do you really think a sump is needed for a 29G? Would I be ok with an Aquaclear 110 or a Marineland Emperor 400?(rated for up to 90G)

Definitly not needed for a 29. Get a good amount of live rock/base rock, plus your AC110 and youll be goo to go..

Gboy66 said:
Definitly not needed for a 29. Get a good amount of live rock/base rock, plus your AC110 and youll be goo to go..

I really like the look of your tank!! How many pounds of LR/BR did you use? Also, did you add the sand in after or before you added the rock?

Back
Top Bottom