Tank size for two female axolotls

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LizzieZappia

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all, I have two female axies; one black and one pink/white. They were housed in a 60cm long tank. The black one started attacking the pink one after a year and a half of living together. The pink has so far lost her tail and 2 limbs. We decided to move the pink one in its own tank; which is not doing well due to high ammonia. I have got an air stone in it, ammo-chips and have done a couple of water changes with no luck. It's becoming dire strait now and I want to know if the 60cm tank is too small for 2 females or should I keep them separated? In which case I should probably get a bigger tank for the pink one to increase oxygen hence reducing the ammonia level? Any advice or suggestions would be truly appreciated!

Unfortunately axis are just prone to nipping at each other. The more space, the better if you're keeping more than one. A 20 gallon long is good for one adult axolotl, but when you think of their potential 10" size, at least a 40 gallon is the best way to go for keeping two together

A question here, where so u get an axolotl? Aren'tthey also called Mexican walking fish?

I understand they will eat anything and everything which will fit in their mouths, and should not be housed together or will be eaten.

Do lots of water changes to get the ammonia under control.

Back
Top Bottom