Tank stocking advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

freshaid

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I've recently inherited a 10g tank & a few dannios from my brother in law.
Tank is cycled &doing well, but I'm looking to add some algae control / clean up fish to my stock.

I currently have 4 Gold ring dannios and a couple of junvinile Platys..
LFS sold me a pair of oto cats. One lasted two days, the other a week.
Doing some retrospective research, these look to be a hit or miss species!

Any sugestions?
I was thinking a small loach or corys or mabe snails?
:thanks:

freshaid said:
I've recently inherited a 10g tank & a few dannios from my brother in law.
Tank is cycled &doing well, but I'm looking to add some algae control / clean up fish to my stock.

I currently have 4 Gold ring dannios and a couple of junvinile Platys..
LFS sold me a pair of oto cats. One lasted two days, the other a week.
Doing some retrospective research, these look to be a hit or miss species!

Any sugestions?
I was thinking a small loach or corys or mabe snails?
:thanks:

Snails and pigmy cories are about the only ones that will fit in a 10g. Unfortunately your pretty stocked so the cories are out. That leaves snails. :)
The danios aren't really suited for a 10 they are very active and need a lot more swimming space than a 10 can provide.

Hello, I know this thread was started a little bit ago, but I am going to go ahead and throw my 2 cents in here. :) IMO, the gold-ringed danios should be fine in there. They are small and not hyper like many other danio species.
Is there any chance you could get a few more of them? They are still a schooling fish and might prefer to have a few more individuals in their group.
Anyhow, I would suggest a up to 6 of any of the dwarf cory species (C. pygmaeus, habrosus, hastatus), and perhaps a cute little guppy as a centerpiece fish. :)
Sorry about your otos. It is pretty common to get unhealthy ones who don't last too long. If you want to try snails, I recommend some type of nerite snail. They are really pretty, eat algae, and do not reproduce in fw so you can't be overrun with them. :)

Thanks for the advice.
A few more gold rings would be good, I was playing safe & trying not to overload the tank as it's a new setup. They seem quite happy & spend a fair bit of time just hanging out in the filter return jet.

LFS suggested shrimps for as an alternative to snails.
Not sure if this is a good idea or not?
All depnds what's availible at the fish store of course.

freshaid said:
Thanks for the advice.
A few more gold rings would be good, I was playing safe & trying not to overload the tank as it's a new setup. They seem quite happy & spend a fair bit of time just hanging out in the filter return jet.

LFS suggested shrimps for as an alternative to snails.
Not sure if this is a good idea or not?
All depnds what's availible at the fish store of course.

Yes, shrimp are awesome for aquariums as well. They usually don't eat algae like snails do (or at least the ones I have don't...) but they are great little creatures that will eat the extra food on the bottom of the aquarium! I'd say yes to the good idea, that store is well informed:)

I agree with aquakai. Shrimp are awesome. I keep rcs (but there are other dwarf shrimp varieties too). They do best in a planted tank IMO, but even fake plants would probably be fine. Fish will eat the shrimplets, but none of your fish should be big enough to eat adults. Honestly, platys can eat surprisingly big things though. You could always try it out with a few ghost shrimo and see how it goes.
BTW, IMO you would be fine to get shrimp and a nerite snail. The shrimp have such a tiny bioload that they fit well into most any tank with tankmates who won't eat them. :)

Thanks, sounds like I've found a good lfs at last!!

the platies are doing a good job on algae control, but shrimp would certainly make a nice addition to my setup. Ill post an update after a visit to the store .

Back
Top Bottom