Tank Stocking Help?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ABittle

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Can anyone offer advice on whether or not this selection would be overstocking my new tank? We have a 46g bowfront with a filter rated for 50g. Right now we do not have the corys or the green barbs, but I'd like to add them soon if it's not too much for the tank.

Current fish:
6 x bleeding heart tetras
8 x white cloud minnows
6 x tiger barbs

Would like to add:
6 x false julii corys
6 x green tiger barbs

Thanks!

Aimee

Tiger Barbs are very aggressive to many other types of fish. They are notorius fin nppiers. Most people keep them in there own tank. I know they would especially pick on the corys. Tiger barbs are a beautiful fish and many beginning aquarists pick them as a community fish, much to their regret. Keep researching and asking questions. You're in one of the best places for help. There are so many options. Liveaquaria.com has some good references on species. Or just go to google search and type in the common name of a fish. You will be amazed what comes up. Lots of GOOD STUFF.
Caudially yours, OS.

I agree. Half of the times ever seeing tiger barbs they were biting infront of me. They even nip eachother. Nasty little things if you ask me.

I agree. Half of the times ever seeing tiger barbs they were biting infront of me. They even nip eachother. Nasty little things if you ask me.

Most of the time when tiger barbs are given a bad rep, they aren't being kept in a large enough tank or a large enough school. When kept appropriately I've experienced peaceful behavior

Thusfar, everyone is correct, IMO, about Tiger barbs. Nippy and aggressive when inadequate numbers are kept. The Tigers will absolutely pick on the Cories!

Most of the time when tiger barbs are given a bad rep, they aren't being kept in a large enough tank or a large enough school. When kept appropriately I've experienced peaceful behavior

Yep and i know youre probably right.. Theyre still one of the few fish that ive witnessed more than once aggressively nipping other fish. Not the ocassional nip but brutal attacks. And another time another tiger. Together with demasoni cichlids, theyve been inprinted in my mind as terrors, and thats only from what ive seen.

Barbs

I have had the tigers for a couple of weeks and they've been fine with my other fish. They are young juveniles right now (cutest things ever!), in a school of 6, and swim happily with the minnows and tetras in a big group. We got them from an actual aquarium shop, not a petco, petsmart, etc..., and the guys there said typically (I realize we could have some barbs go "rogue" LOL) if you put them in a tank at a young age with other fish they can learn to live with their tank mates (and having them in a large school will help too)...

I realize there could be potential issues, I'm not trying to poo poo anyone's advice, but is it impossible to put corys with barbs? I really want something bottom feeder-ish....

Back
Top Bottom