tank suggestion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yao1

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I need a tank for my kid, hope get some suggestion.

20 gal tall with Molly's and platys, or 20 long with a bristle nose Pleco, 6 zebra danios 8 neons..

Agree with the 20gal tank size. That is what I have currently and it's big enough to allow me to have enough fish to make me happy, but small enough to where maintenance isn't a pain to do. Although a lot of people say a larger tank is better for beginners, I personally feel that if you can master a 20gal or smaller sized tank, then upgrading to a larger tank won't be too big of a deal in the future :)

Most times you can find good deals on whole tank kits at places like Petsmart, Walmart, Petco, etc. However you can find equally good deals on a site like Craigslist. Just be careful with what you purchase on there. Some good advice I've gotten in regards to Craigslist buys include always going to the sellers home to inspect the tank for yourself before agreeing to purchase, and once you purchase used fish equipment from someone, take the time to sanitize using bleach or whatever you want to kill bad stuff that could be on that used equipment. Never just take that used equipment, set it up and then add fish.

Hope that helps!

what is your experience with aquariums/fish keeping?
how much space do you have...is there a certain place you want to put it?
how much time do you have to care for it?
how much are you willing to invest/sink into this?
do you have certain fish in mind?

sorry for all of the reply ?'s, but if you've never done this then you'll need to think/learn about some things and do a little planning...if you know what you're doing then i would just ask, what type of fish?

It's surprising to find that the 29 gallon is the smallest that's really easy. I started with a betta in a tiny tank for my kid, lost several fish, and now the new betta is ok in a 3 gallon with frequent water changes, but all the research I did in the mean time to learn how to keep a betta alive led me to the 29.

The simple guide to freshwater aquariums by Boruchowitz is awesome. Cheap on amazon and abe books, it's everything but fishless cycling.

It's really a shock how much there is to understand, to keep fish alive. When I was a kid my brother had a goldfish he win from a carnival live in a bowl for 7 years with very little care. I didn't realize that's extremely unusual.

Back
Top Bottom