Tank Vacuuming / Cloudy water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RoVic

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Thought I'd vacuum the tank but this time get as low as i could without sucking up the gravel.
problem is by doing so its making the water cloudy. there seems a lot of mess below the first +/- 2 cm of gravel. if i continue will this Cloudy water harm the fish?
What method do other people use when doing a clean up? I hold my hands up i know its my fault for allowing the mess get so deep, i do Hoover and disturb the gravel but I've not been getting deep enough. any advice please .... :(

I dig my vaccum all the way to the bottom of the tank. I recomend you do part of your tank every time you change water.

Thought I'd vacuum the tank but this time get as low as i could without sucking up the gravel.
problem is by doing so its making the water cloudy. there seems a lot of mess below the first +/- 2 cm of gravel. if i continue will this Cloudy water harm the fish?
What method do other people use when doing a clean up? I hold my hands up i know its my fault for allowing the mess get so deep, i do Hoover and disturb the gravel but I've not been getting deep enough. any advice please .... :(

Just to add: I've been using a powered battery Hoover, been looking on youtube at other methods i thank I'll change to the more conventional suction pipe ...!

I push my vac ALL the way down into the gravel so that it gets the crud underneath & I don't move it until the water in the tube is clear. My 10g tank got cloudy water after running about 3 months, I did a little research & found that the cloudy water could be from waste so I started doing the deeper vacuuming & sure enough my water cleared up after a couple cleanings. You want the gravel to be sucked up a little bit into the tube. I use a syphon vac for my 10g tanks & a Python for my 46g.

I think that might be the problem. I never used it before nut i woild think that some of the waste will still filter to the water. The python is best IMO cuz ita takes the water and poop out all at once.

You can get pump action syphons from petsmart for like 10 bucks. I reccomend running a UG filter and a HOB powerfilter if you want to use gravel. Also use something when you pour the water back in the tank so it dosen't splash up all the detris. (waste) a ceramic bowl or plate works good.

Back
Top Bottom